Council elections 2020
Council election - October 24, 2020
The VEC is responsible for conducting this postal election and will post ballot packs to enrolled voters from October 6 to 8.
The ballot pack will contain:
- A ballot paper attached to statements and photographs lodged by the candidates in your ward
- A ballot paper envelope with a flap
- Voting instructions
- A reply-paid envelope
Voting closes 6pm Friday October 23, 2020. State-enrolled voters can register for free VoterAlert SMS and email reminders at www.vec.vic.gov.au
To find out more, please visit the VEC website.
The VEC have an email address for any complaints people have about the conduct of the elections, whether it's about signage, ballot packs, candidates or other matters.
People should email any complaints to: [email protected]
Support available for potential Councillors
The City of Greater Bendigo is reminding candidates there is support available to allow Councillors to carry out their duties and meet family and work commitments at the same time.
Being a Councillor and leading your community can be a very rewarding experience. It can also be a demanding and time consuming role. There is a requirement to attend Council and Committee meetings, represent the Council and communicate with residents, business, community groups and others.
A new Councillor Expenses and Support Policy for Councillors was adopted in August which offers:
- Reimbursement of caring expenses (for children as well as elderly, disabled or sick family members)
- The provision of laptops and smart phones as needed
- Access to a vehicle to attend community events
- Financial support for training
- Reimbursement of travel expenses incurred for Council purposes
- Fair and reasonable support for individuals with a disability
The City hosted a series of information sessions in the lead up to the election period. These sessions can be accessed below:
Non-resident Owner Application for enrolment
Close of the Roll Notice
Close of postal voting
Results declared by this date
*Check dates and times with the VEC