Community Local Law

The Community Local Law aims to provide a safe and healthy environment for the local community and visitors so they can enjoy life in the City of Greater Bendigo. The Local Law achieves this goal by prohibiting, regulating and controlling activities so that they are not dangerous, unsafe or detrimental to the physical or visual environment.

The Community Local Law also provides for the safe and fair enjoyment of public places, the use of roads and provides protection for Council assets and land and regulates their use.

Finally, the Community Local Law contains processes for municipal government not included in the Governance Rules, including use of the Common Seal and maintenance of order.

Rubbish and recycling

The local law requires that residents use the council-provided bins for collection correctly. This includes separating recycling and omitting hazardous waste (syringes, hot ash, liquid waste etc.), or leaving bins in the street other than on collection day.  Bins in commercial zones must not be outside the property boundary between 10.00am & 5.30pm on any day.  Go to rubbish and recycling.

Open air burning

Go to fire prevention.

Go to fires, burn-offs and permits.

Motor vehicles on council land

You can’t leave your car on Council land other than on roads, a designated parking area or an area designed for the parking of cars.

Dangerous or unsightly land

As an owner or occupier you must ensure that your land and any structure on your land is not a danger to health or property, present a fire hazard or detract from the appearance or use of the neighbourhood. The land cannot be used in any manner that may cause a nuisance or become detrimental to the amenity of the immediate area, unless otherwise a permit is issued.

Heavy vehicles

To park, keep, store or repair a heavy vehicle in a residential area, you will require a permit.

European wasps and bees

Land owners / occupiers of any land have the duty to destroy the nests of European wasps. This must occur within 5 days of being directed to do so by an Authorised officer.

Land owners / occupiers of any land have the duty to remove or destroy any unmanaged or abandoned bee colonies within 5 days of direction.

Protection and preservation of scheduled Council reserves and park land

The Environmental Management Plan Scheduled Reserve and Park Land lists what activities are permitted and prohibited at Crusoe Reservoir and No 7 Park, Kennington Reservoir Natural Reservoir, Lake Weeroona Reserve, Lake Neangar Reserve (including Lake Tom Thumb) and the O’Keefe Rail Trail.

Vehicle crossings - driveways

This section applies to all properties that have vehicles accessing them. Vehicle crossings (driveways) must comply with the Council’s standard drawings for vehicle crossings. Go to driveways and vehicle crossings.

Advertising signs on roads

To place an advertising sign on any part of a road you must have a permit.

Signs must be constructed to be safe and stable in strong winds, not block footpaths, or affect traffic visibility. Signs may not be placed on a median roundabout tree reserve or other public reserve, and the sign owner must have public liability insurance.

Sale of vehicles or goods on roads

Members of the public and local businesses may not offer motor vehicles or goods for sale on roadsides and road reserves.

Skip bins on roads

A permit is required to place a waste skip bin on any road or road reserve.

Occupying footpaths and road reserves for works

A permit will be required to occupy a footpath or road reserve for the purpose of conducting works on private property.  

Please contact our Building Services team on 1300 002 642 for further information.

Advertising on footpaths and road reserves

Third party advertising and promotion is not permitted on footpaths and road reserves.

A permit is required for the installation of street art and information signage on footpaths and road reserves.

Consumption of liquor

You may not consume liquor, or have it open and in your possession or open in a vehicle in proclaimed public places without a permit.

Proclaimed areas where liquor cannot be consumed in a public place:

Please note licensed premises including outdoor dining areas are exempt from this provision of the Local Law.

Activities in public places

A person shall not speak to a crowd or use amplifying equipment or perform any form of entertainment or instruction in a public place without a permit. To apply for a permit – download and complete the activities in a public place form.

Activities in the mall

A permit is required to:

  • display or erect any advertisement, notice, plaque or sign in the Mall
  • conduct an event or activity
  • use council owned or managed land or facilities for the purpose of commercial gain
  • perform any form of entertainment in the Mall
  • disrupt the flow of pedestrian traffic in the Mall

Dogs are permitted in the Mall but must be kept on lead at all times

Street trading and outdoor dining facility

A permit is required to engage in street trading or place an outdoor dining area on any footpath or part of a road.

Find out more about the use of public places for outdoor dining or street trading, read the Guidelines: Outdoor Street Trading Code of Practice.

Apply for a permit – download and complete the outdoor dining, street trading and advertising signs, new or amending existing permit

Go to busking and street performance permits.

Camping and caravans

A permit is required to occupy a tent, caravan or other temporary or make-shift structure in any public place. If you are planning to live in a similar structure on private land for more than 21 days in any calendar year, you will also need a permit.

Community behaviour

The Community Local Law prohibits use of offensive, indecent or obscene language, defacing of property, causing a public disturbance, or causing any unreasonable noise. It also states that you cannot deposit a used syringe, spit, urinate or defecate in any public place, unless the public place was established for such a purpose.