Affordable Housing Action Plan out for comment
The City of Greater Bendigo has released its Affordable Housing Action Plan for public comment, outlining its strategy to help deliver more affordable housing to the Greater Bendigo community.
Types of affordable housing include assisted home ownership, discounted private rental market, community housing, public housing, transitional housing and crisis housing.
The City already influences affordable housing in many ways; however, the Action Plan will make this more coordinated to achieve better outcomes.
Some key actions proposed include:
- A social housing supply target of 9.5% by 2036
- Roles for Council – leader, advocate, facilitator and partner
- Advocacy for streamlining secondary dwellings through the planning scheme
- Advocate for increased funding to local homelessness service providers
- Facilitating delivery of affordable housing on surplus government land
Director Strategy and Growth Bernie O’Sullivan said the City wanted to hear from all perspectives in the community.
“Whether you’re struggling to secure or maintain affordable housing, you work to provide support services or design and build affordable housing, it’s important that we get your input,” Mr O’Sullivan said.
“Affordable housing is an increasingly important issue and one we cannot ignore if we want to create an inclusive and liveable community.”
Complete a quick online survey www.surveymonkey.com/r/affordablehousingactionplan
Or write to us at [email protected]
Consultation closes Monday September 21. For more information visit www.bendigo.vic.gov.au/affordablehousing