Budget invests in walking, cycling and outdoor connectivity
The City of Greater Bendigo’s 2023/2024 Budget will invest in a variety of exciting shared paths and trails to support an active and healthy community.
The Budget will see $2.09M invested in creating improvements to public open space to enhance walking, running or cycling opportunities for residents.
Budget investments are aligned with the City’s Walking and Cycling Strategy (2019), the Council Plan (Mir wimbul) 2021-2025 and Healthy Greater Bendigo 2021-2025.
Mayor Cr Andrea Metcalf said the new projects contributed to better connectivity at outdoor spaces.
“Creating healthy and liveable places and spaces was identified as a top priority from the community during consultation late last year. It is also a key theme in the Council Plan,” Cr Metcalf said.
“Shared footpaths and trails allow residents and visitors of all ages and abilities to enjoy our great outdoors in so many ways.
“This investment in infrastructure supports Council’s actions for healthy, connected and active places for residents and visitors to enjoy.”
The Budget includes:
- New shared paths and trails to deliver stage one of the Ironbark Gully Trail between Nolan Street and Holmes Road
- A multi-year project to design a new Bendigo Low Line separated walking/cycling network between Golden Square and Lake Weeroona
- Investment over two financial years for the Emu Creek underpass at Strathfieldsaye
- Municipal Baths redevelopment work, in line with the Rosalind Park Recreation Reserve Precinct Master Plan
- As part of the Strathfieldsaye Town Centre Urban Design Framework, a shared path project will progress works for vegetated open public space between Wellesley Street and Apsley Lane
- Construction of new concrete footpaths in priority locations
- Funding for multi-year works at Midland Highway, including traffic signals at Waratah Road intersection, as part of the Huntly Development Contributions Plan
- Design of shared paths for Rennie Street and Gungurru Street, Huntly
- A shared path to be included in design work for a Bendigo Creek levee from Racecourse Creek at Midland Highway to Leans Road, Huntly
To view the adopted Budget and for more information, head to: https://www.bendigo.vic.gov.au/About/Budgethttps://www.bendigo.vic.gov.au/About/Budget