Budget prioritises future growth projects
The City of Greater Bendigo’s 2023/2024 Budget has prioritised projects that can support future growth and invigorate the local economy.
Mayor Cr Andrea Metcalf said it was important for the Budget to invest in longer term projects that will benefit a growing community.
“We’ve taken a multi-year approach for larger capital works projects that are important for the future economic growth of our region,” Cr Metcalf said
“In particular, we continue to support the Victorian Planning Authority to prepare a master plan for the proposed Bendigo Regional Employment Precinct in Marong, which is vital for businesses looking to move to or expand in this region in the future.
“With the recent announcement of the Federal Government’s new Growing Regions Program, the City will also consider projects that best fit the funding criteria.”
The Budget includes:
- Completing stage one of the Bendigo Airport terminal expansion
- Supporting the Victorian Planning Authority to prepare a master plan for the Bendigo Regional Employment Precinct in Marong
- Completing the expansion of the Bendigo Tramways workshop to increase workshop capacity
- Partnering with local jobs facilitators to hold a Jobs Fair in September 2023 focused on opportunities for school-leavers
The Budget also continues to support and develop major events and tourism campaigns to encourage visitors and residents to spend more time in the region by shopping, dining and booking accommodation.
New funding initiatives have been included in the Budget to further enhance Greater Bendigo’s reputation as a leading regional arts, sporting and cultural centre:
- Deliver the Victorian Government-funded Young Minds Program providing gallery-based learning opportunities for high-ability regional students enrolled in public schools
- Continue to attract event opportunities at the region’s state of the art sporting facilities, including events and tournaments in the lead up to the Victoria 2026 Commonwealth Games
- Support the new visitor economy partnership involving the City and neighbouring councils to further enhance tourist destination opportunities in the region
- Along with nine local government partners, investigate opportunities to showcase the City of Gastronomy region
To view the adopted Budget and for more information, head to: https://www.bendigo.vic.gov.au/About/Budget