Christmas tree light up kicks off Summer in the Parks program
The City of Greater Bendigo’s annual Summer in the Parks program kicks off with the lighting of the Christmas tree in Rosalind Park on Friday evening December 2.
With support from the City, Agnico Eagle Australia Fosterville (formerly known as Fosterville Goldmine) and local community groups and organisations, the 2022/2023 program features free or low-cost events and activities during the months of December, January and February.
Mayor Cr Andrea Metcalf said the lighting of the Christmas tree in the Piazza in Rosalind Park was an exciting countdown to Christmas and the start of the popular Summer in the Parks program.
“The traditional lighting of the tree marks the start of the festive season so it’s an exciting time for the community,” Cr Metcalf said.
“There will be entertainment from 6.30pm onwards including roving Christmas characters, circus activities for children from Connected Circus, music and Christmas carols with popular local singer and musician Sherri Parry.
“At 7.45pm we have invited the amazing Australian swimmer Jenna Strauch, who won silver at the Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, to say a few words about her career in the pool.
"The Christmas tree will be lit at approximately 8.45pm.
“The Bendigo letters will also be given a Christmas makeover so the Piazza will look very festive for photo opportunities during the day and at night.
“I am also delighted that closer to Christmas the Summer in the Parks program sees the return of many popular Christmas Carol events across the region.
- Heathcote Christmas Carols presented by Heathcote Lions Club will be from 7pm to 9pm on Saturday December 3 at Barrack Reserve, Heathcote
- Epsom Christmas Carols will be from 4.30pm to 7.30pm on Saturday December 3 at Garden for the Future, White Hills
- Maiden Gully Christmas Carols will be from 4.30pm to 8.30pm on Sunday December 4 at the Maiden Gully Oval, Maiden Gully
- Borough Block Christmas Party will be from 5pm to 10pm on Friday December 9 at Dr Catford Memorial Park, Eaglehawk (corner of High Street and Church Street)
- Axedale Christmas Carols will be from 5.30pm to 8.30pm on Sunday December 11 at Axedale Park, Axedale
- The Rotary Club of Bendigo Community Christmas Carols will be from 6.30pm to 10.30pm on Sunday December 18 in Rosalind Park
“New Year’s Eve will be celebrated with the traditional fireworks at 9.15pm and at midnight from the Poppet Head in Rosalind Park where you can see the sky light up from the Queen Elizabeth Oval.
“Please be aware the QEO car park will be closed from 6am Saturday December 31 until 6am Sunday January 1, 2023.
“It’s important to ensure your animals and pets are secure and kept safe during the New Year celebrations.
“There’s plenty more outdoor fun in January and February with Summer in the Parks presenting a wide range of live music events and classic movie nights under the stars so there’s something for everyone.
“It’s a perfect opportunity to enjoy free entertainment in our beautiful parks, support our local hospitality and dine out or picnic with family and friends.”
To keep up to date with the Summer in the Parks program of events, activities, times and dates, please visit http://www.bendigosummerintheparks.com/