City to celebrate NAIDOC Week with Flag Raising Ceremony
The City of Greater Bendigo will celebrate NAIDOC Week 2021 with a live streamed Flag Raising Ceremony via the City’s Facebook page featuring a Dja Dja Wurrung Welcome to Country and Smoking Ceremony at 10am on Monday July 5, 2020 in the Library Gardens.
The City of Greater Bendigo is also pleased to present the Knuldoorong Art Exhibition at Dudley House in View Street. The exhibition is a showcase for local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders artists and this year it has been administered by the City’s First Nations Arts Officer Janet Bromley. Knuldoorong will be open from 11am to 4pm Friday July 2 to Sunday July 11 (except on Monday July 5). Entry is free and art works in the exhibition are for sale.
City of Greater Bendigo Manager Community Partnerships Andie West said NAIDOC Week 2021 will take place from July 4 to 11, 2021 to celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
“This year there is a great range of local events taking place to celebrate NAIDOC Week and it is exciting to see several events being offered in person again after 2020,” Ms West said.
“The Bendigo NAIDOC Week Committee has produced another terrific program which is available to view at www.bendigo.vic.gov.au/Services/Community-and-care/Aboriginal_and_Torres_Strait_Islander_Reconciliation
“NAIDOC Week is an opportunity for all Australians to come together to celebrate the rich history, diverse cultures and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the oldest continuing cultures on the planet. Each year the week continues to grow in stature and the depth of celebrations at a community, state and national level.”
The NAIDOC Week theme for 2021 is Heal Country! The theme calls for all of us to continue to seek greater protections for our lands, our waters, our sacred sites and our cultural heritage from exploitation, desecration, and destruction.
NAIDOC 2021 invites the nation to embrace First Nations’ cultural knowledge and understanding of Country as part of Australia's national heritage and equally respect the culture and values of Aboriginal peoples and Torres Strait Islanders as they do the cultures and values of all Australians.
Some events taking place during the week include:
- Bendigo and District Aboriginal Cooperative Flag Raising and Smoking Ceremony at 119 Prouses Road North Bendigo at 10.30am Friday July 2.
- Marong Football and Netball – Marong versus YCW Indigenous Round Match, Malone Park Marong, Saturday July 3. Games commence at 10.30am. Official Welcome to Country and Smoking Ceremony prior to the senior football and netball matches at 2pm.
- Jimbeyer Boonjhil – Indigenous Cultural Share Day at the Heywood Library Gallery,, La Trobe Unversity Bendigo at 10am to 1pm Monday July 5.
- In Conversation with Bendigo Art Gallery’s First Nations Curator at the Latrobe Arts Institute 6pm to 7pm on Thursday July 8
- Open Day at Peppergreen Farm, 40-44 Thunder Street North Bendigo at 10am to 12pm Tuesday July 6.