New "My Local Neighbourhood" feature added to Community Compass
The City of Greater Bendigo is encouraging residents and visitors to upload stories about their neighbourhoods to the new ‘My Local Neighbourhood’ feature on Community Compass.
Community Compass is an online mapping service that appears on the home page of the City’s website or can be found at https://bendigo.pozi.com
‘My Local Neighbourhood’ will allow people to update the map with information about local groups, places and events that are important to them or their community using the icons ‘Get active’, ‘Get creative’ and ‘Get involved’.
City Strategy Manager, Trevor Budge, said the aim of the new online tool is to develop an online asset that tells people all of the resources available to them within a 10 minute walk or cycle from home.
“People will have up to 255 characters, about three to four lines or a short paragraph, to explain about a certain location,” Mr Budge said.
“We’re encouraging people to go beyond saying a place is ‘great’ or ‘fantastic’ and personalise their story by saying how a place makes them feel and why they like to visit there.
“Similarly, community groups may like to make the most of the new feature to promote events or activities.”
To find stories within your local neighbourhood:
- Type your address into the ‘search address’ bar. Select your address from the list below.
- A list of options will appear on the right hand side of the screen. Click on ‘Nearby Neighbourhood Stories’
- The ‘Get active’, ‘Get creative’ and ‘Get involved’ icons will appear. Click on an icon and the story will appear on the right hand side of the screen (you may need to zoom out using the ‘+’ or ‘-’ button, or scroll wheel on your mouse to see the icons)
To add a story:
- Click on the pencil icon in the top left hand corner of the screen
- Left click on the map where you would like to add your story and an information box will appear to fill in
- To add a photo, upload the image to www.imgur.com
- Click ‘upload images’ at the top of the screen. Browse your computer for the photo and click ‘start upload’
- Once your photo is uploaded, copy the specific URL or ‘web address’ for the photo from the ‘HTML (website/blogs)’ box
- Paste the link into the link box on ‘My Local Neighbourhood’
- Click save. Once the story has gone through an approval process it will become public.