Overnight visitor numbers increase by nearly 20 per cent
The latest data from Tourism Research Australia shows overnight visitor numbers for the Bendigo Loddon Region grew by 19.5 per cent in the last year.
The statistics are for the year ending September 2019. The Bendigo Loddon region includes the City of Greater Bendigo, Central Goldfields Shire, Mt Alexander Shire and the Loddon Shire.
- 1.3M overnight visitors. 19.5% growth on the previous year and 92% growth over the past 10 years
- 2.6M visitor nights. 2.4% growth on the previous year and 89% growth over the past 10 years
- 3.2M day trip visitors. 7.1% growth on the previous year and 42% growth over the past 10 years
- 27,200 overnight visitors. 13% growth over previous year and 7.7% growth annually over the past five years
- 57,400 day trip visitors. 5.6% growth over previous year and 3.1% growth annually over the past five years
City of Greater Bendigo Tourism and Major Events Manager Terry Karamaloudis said the figures were positive news for the tourism industry
“It’s really pleasing to see the number of overnight visits increasing in domestic and international - we have been working with our local industry to entice people to stay for one night or longer,” Mr Karamaloudis said.
“Over the past 10 years we have been working hard to attract and market our major cultural and sporting events and exclusive Bendigo Art Gallery exhibitions
“More recently we have also been working with our industry to develop and promote food, wine and other cultural experiences.
“It’s encouraging to see people staying longer in Greater Bendigo and that we are able to offer enough activities and experiences to make it a truly worthwhile visit.”