Plan ahead for 150th Bendigo Easter Fair's four day celebration
With the 150th Easter Fair just a week away, residents are reminded the program format for the special anniversary will be different from previous years and celebrations will run over four days from Good Friday April 15 to Easter Monday April 18.
Bendigo Easter Festival Group Reference Chair Cr Rod Fyffe said this year’s fair spanned four days and featured over 80 COVIDSafe events with the return of many festival favourites.
“To mark the 150th anniversary, this year will be different from previous years with several traditional and popular events taking place on different days and at different times over four days,” Cr Fyffe said.
“I encourage residents and visitors to check out the program so they can plan ahead and know when their favourite events will be held, including the popular Torchlight Procession which will be held on Easter Sunday with celebratory fireworks as a finale, and our wonderful gala parade on Easter Monday.”
Here are the key celebratory events:
- Awakening of the Dragon is on Sunday April 17 from 2pm at Dai Gum San where you can enjoy a traditional celebration of lion and dragon dances presented by the Bendigo Chinese Association
- The Sherridon Homes Torchlight Procession is on Sunday April 17 from 7pm to 8.30pm and will conclude with a celebratory firework display over Rosalind Park
- The Bendigo Advertiser Gala Parade is on Monday April 18 at 12.30pm when the world’s longest Imperial Dragon Dai Gum Loong will embark on his first solo parade appearance. The parade route starts at View Street (Rowan St intersection), follows Pall Mall/McCrae Street) and ends at Bridge Street (finishing at the back of the Golden Dragon Museum)
- Rotary Market will be held on Good Friday April 15 and on Easter Monday April 18 from 9am to 4pm
To mark the special anniversary, the 150th Easter Fair’s premium sponsor this year is Fosterville Gold Mine. The full Easter program will be run under current COVIDSafe event guidelines for a major event.
Other exciting highlights include:
- The Bendigo TAFE Carnival on from Good Friday April 15 to Easter Monday April 18 at Mundy Street with rides and side show attractions
- Vision Australia’s popular Easter Egg Hunt is on Good Friday in Rosalind Park with 85,000 eggs hidden (limited tickets are still available)
- The Knaves Big Band, a tribute to the King is a free concert on Saturday April 16 and Sunday April 17 featuring a 14-piece big band
- Bananas in Pyjamas and the Trolls will appear on Easter Monday April 18
- Dirtgirlworld activity centre and stage show is on Saturday April 16, Sunday April 17 and Monday April 18
- Bull Street Music Festival is on Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 2pm to 11pm
- Rosalind Park will feature a wide selection of hands-on activities to keep all the kids busy from 10am to 5pm each day during the Easter festivities
The Bendigo Easter Fair Society’s special events to mark the 150th anniversary include:
- Wadaiko Rindo Japanese Drummers on Good Friday at the Poppet Head
- Bendigo’s Passion Play - the Way of the Cross is outside The Capital at 8pm on Good Friday
- Teddy Bear’s Picnic featuring Humphrey B. Bear is on Easter Sunday at 10am in Rosalind Park
- Cavalcade of Transport Easter Sunday 1pm
- 150 Years Up in Lights at the Conservatory will be lit from 7pm each night from Good Friday to Easter Monday
For the full program, visit https://www.bendigoeasterfestival.org.au/ and the Bendigo Easter Festival Facebook page.