Reimagining Bendigo Creek Plan adopted by Council
The Reimagining Bendigo Creek Plan which sets out opportunities to restore the health and presentation of the Bendigo Creek, its catchment and tributaries, has been adopted by Council.
The Plan is the result of a collaborative process of knowledge-sharing and leadership by eight project partners, including the Dja Dja Wurrung, and engagement with community members.
Councillor James Williams said the Reimagining Bendigo Creek plan marked the beginning of a process of renewal, understanding and connection.
“This plan presents a vision and plan for creating a healthier, more connected and more beautiful creek that we all respect and value,” Cr Williams said.
“It will be at least 50 years in the making, but in doing so we will honour the Dja Dja Wurrung Traditional Owners and their Country and create a place of beauty, respite and leisure that defines Bendigo.
“Despite the size of the task before us, we are very pleased to have a shared strategic plan and considerable momentum to continue making improvements to the Bendigo Creek.”
The plan has three themes - catchment, connection and culture - encompassing 12 strategies, as well as four precinct plans.
The strategies are:
- Limit the impact of climate change with water sensitive urban design and traditional ecological knowledge
- Manage flood risk with appropriate infrastructure, landscape treatments and community preparedness
- Restore aquatic habitats and ecosystem function of the Creek and its tributaries
- Improve how our city landscape relates to the Creek and tributaries
- Connect places and spaces with a network of accessible public corridors
- Improve the Creek’s corridor access
- Increase Creek-based interaction and recreation opportunities
- Create a safe Creek environment for everyone
- Empower Dja Dja Wurrung Traditional Owners to practice their cultural traditions and promote their cultural and spiritual connections to the Creek
- Promote positive community perceptions of the Creek
- Foster community caring for the Creek
- Strengthen the diversity of experiences along the Creek
To read to the plan and find out how you can be involved, go to www.bendigo.vic.gov.au/bendigocreek