Flag raising to kick off Bendigo's NAIDOC Week Celebrations
The City of Greater Bendigo will kick off 2018 NAIDOC Week celebrations with a flag-raising ceremony on Monday July 9.
The ceremony will include an official flag presentation to local organisations, a Welcome to Country by Dja Dja Wurrung Clans Aboriginal Corporation Chair Trent Nelson and a Smoking Ceremony.
NAIDOC Week celebrations are held across Australia each July to celebrate the history, culture and achievements of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. This year NAIDOC Week is being held from Sunday July 8 to Sunday July 15.
The NAIDOC Week theme for 2018 is Because of her, we can! This theme celebrates the essential role that Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander women have played, and continue to play as active and significant role models at the community, local, state and national levels.
Mayor Cr Margaret O’Rourke said the flag-raising ceremony is an important part of Bendigo’s NAIDOC Week celebrations.
“This is the 18th NAIDOC flag raising ceremony to be held in Greater Bendigo. NAIDOC Week grew out of the Aboriginal groups of the 1920s who worked to raise awareness of the treatment of Indigenous people,” Cr O’Rourke said.
“It’s a great opportunity to recognise the contributions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to our country and our community.
“I encourage all residents to join me in celebrating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history, culture and achievements at the many other events taking place throughout NAIDOC week.
Other events include:
- Knuldoorong NAIDOC Art Exhibition – opening night 6pm Thursday July 5 at Dudley House, 60 View Street, Bendigo.
- Bendigo & District Aboriginal Co-operative Flag Raising event at 11.00am – 12.00pm on Friday 6 July at 119 Prouses Road, North Bendigo.
- NAIDOC Children’s Day 10am to 3pm on Wednesday July 11 at Golden Square Primary School.
- St John of God Bendigo Hospital NAIDOC Art Exhibition – open daily from 9am to 5pm from Wednesday July 4, to Wednesday July 18.
- For a full listing of NAIDOC Week events visit www.bendigo.vic.gov.au/Services/Community-and-care/Aboriginal_and_Torres_Strait_Islander_Reconciliation