One Planet Living
The City of Greater Bendigo uses the One Planet Living framework to help us become the world’s most liveable community.
Why One Planet Living?
We only have one planet, but as a global society we're living as if we have several planets and consuming in ways which cannot be sustained. If everyone in the world lived like we do in Australia we'd need over four planets.
We have never had so much technology but social isolation, loneliness and poor mental health are increasing problems. Global animal populations are in sharp decline threatening our ecosystem and food systems, and human induced climate change is already having devastating consequences.
That means a lot of things must change. But we also know that if we work together we can enjoy just as much comfort, more security and better health, while living lives that are enriching, fulfilling and sustainable.
What is One Planet Living?
One Planet Living is about making it easy, attractive and affordable for people to lead happy and healthy lives within a fair share of the earth’s resources.
One Planet Living is about supporting local business.
It’s about us feeling connected to our city, our local places, our landscapes, and to each other. The way we come together to celebrate and to shape our community, and our places.
It’s about equality for all.
It’s about healthy bodies and minds.
It’s about creativity
It’s about protecting and enjoying our city in a forest, and our forest in the city.
It’s the way we move around, and making it easy to walk, to cycle and to use low carbon vehicles.
It’s about zero waste and zero pollution. Renewable energy. A safe climate.
A healthy, happy community for us, our children, their children and beyond. For thousands more generations, just as there were thousands of generations before us.
Greater Bendigo – creating the world’s most liveable community.
The 10 One Planet Principles
- Health & Happiness - Encouraging active, social, meaningful lives to promote good health & wellbeing.
- Equity & Local Economy - Creating safe, equitable places to live and work which support local prosperity and international fair trade.
- Culture & Community - Nurturing local identity and heritage, empowering communities and promoting a culture of sustainable living.
- Land & Nature - Protecting and restoring land for the benefit of people and wildlife.
- Sustainable Water - Using water efficiently, protecting local water resources and reducing flooding and drought.
- Local & Sustainable Food - Promoting sustainable humane farming and healthy diets high in local, seasonal organic food and vegetable protein.
- Travel & Transport - Reducing the need to travel, encouraging walking, cycling and low carbon transport.
- Materials & Products - Using materials from sustainable sources and promoting products which help people reduce consumption.
- Zero Waste - Reducing consumption, re-using and recycling to achieve zero waste and zero pollution.
- Zero Carbon - Making buildings and manufacturing energy efficient and supplying all energy with renewables.
What would need to change for us to live these principles in everything that we do? How would your life be different?
The One Planet Program
The City of Greater Bendigo is registered in Bioregional Australia's One Planet Program, working with partners in the region toward recognition as a One Planet City and Region.
This involves four steps:
- Assessing our current context, future trends, opportunities and challenges
- Visioning what a One Planet Greater Bendigo looks like
- Planning and implementing a One Planet action plan
- Monitoring and reporting on progress
What challenges and opportunities are we facing in our region? What actions can you take at home, at work and at play to live the One Planet principles?
Download a copy of our 2018-2019 One Planet Living report for information on how we are tracking against the actions in the Environment Strategy and Community Plan.
If you have any questions about One Planet Greater Bendigo, please contact the Regional Sustainable Development Unit on 03 5434 6000 or email [email protected]