Meet our Executive Team
Four directors and the Chief Executive Officer form the Executive Management Team and lead the organisation.
Andrew Cooney, Director Corporate Performance
Masters Business Administration, Bachelor of Business, Graduate Australian Institute of Company Directors
Andrew is a respected leader with considerable knowledge of the Local Government sector and experience in finance, community development, governance, human resources, risk management and compliance.
Prior to joining the City, Andrew was the Executive Director Partnerships and Sector Performance at the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning. His previous roles also include General Manager Governance and Strategy at Coliban Water, Director Community and Corporate Services at Gannawarra Shire Council and Manager Organisational Development at Loddon Shire Council.
The Corporate Performance Directorate’s mission is to lead and support the organisation to achieve great results on behalf of the community.
The Directorate is responsible for:
- Managing financial assets and resources, and managing the annual budget and financial reporting processes
- Ensuring rates are raised and collected using accurate valuations
- Developing and supporting our most valuable asset – our staff
- Ensuring the highest standards of governance and probity in all elements of Council’s operations
- Business analysis, improvement and innovation, and customer support
- Providing reliable digital and information technology to ensure the organisation operates efficiently and meets the needs of its customers
- Leading the City’s involvement in the GovHub co-location project to ensure outcomes are maximised for the staff and community of Greater Bendigo
Go to the Corporate Performance Directorate.
Debbie Wood, Director Presentation and Assets
Bachelor of Design, Diploma of Business
Debbie’s career has spanned landscape architecture and a range of leadership roles in the Local Government sector.
Her previous roles have included Senior Landscape Architect and Team Leader Landscape Design and Development at the City of Casey, Manager Parks and Recreation at the City of Hobart and Manager Parks and Open Space at the City of Greater Bendigo. She became the Director Presentation and Assets in March 2018.
The Presentation and Assets Directorate focuses on delivering a clean and well presented, functioning municipality. It includes all aspects of the City’s built and natural environment, infrastructure and waste management. The Directorate is responsible for:
- Asset planning and engineering
- Urban and landscape design
- Constructing and maintaining roads, footpaths and drainage systems
- Development, protection and maintenance of parks and the natural environment areas under the City’s jurisdiction
- Management of waste and recycling collection, landfill sites, transfer stations, street cleaning and education programs
- Designing and delivering infrastructure, including Council owned buildings
- Management of significant infrastructure projects
Go to the Presentation and Assets Directorate.
Vicky Mason, Director Health and Wellbeing
Master of Public Health, Master of Business
Vicky has a strong health and Local Government background and joins the City from Mount Alexander Shire. Her previous roles include Community Development Director at Warrnambool City Council, Health Development Unit Assistant Director at the Department of Health, and Chief Executive Officer at the Darebin Community Health Service and Nillumbik Community Health Service.
The Health and Wellbeing Directorate provides a range of services that contribute to making Bendigo a great place to live.
It is responsible for:
- Providing services for children, families, the frail, the aged and people with a disability
- Planning and delivery of recreation and open space opportunities
- Managing the City’s 750 buildings and other structures
- Monitoring and enforcing food and tobacco regulations, fire prevention, public health standards and local laws
- Monitoring and enforcing parking and animal regulations
- Building community capacity by developing partnerships, improving community safety, organizing events and supporting cultural and ethnic diversity
Go to the Health and Wellbeing Directorate.
Bernie O'Sullivan, Director Strategy and Growth
Bachelor of Agricultural Science, Master of Public Affairs
Bernie has had extensive experience working for the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (and its predecessors) leading the Department’s state-wide regional operations. Prior to working for the Department, he held senior executive roles with the Royal Agricultural Society of New South Wales, a livestock peak industry body in Canberra and the New South Wales Farmers’ Association.
The Strategy and Growth Directorate is responsible for ensuring Greater Bendigo remains a great place to live, work and invest.
The directorate is responsible for
- Operation of the Bendigo Art Gallery
- Operation of Capital Venues and Events and the Ulumbarra Theatre
- Facilitating an annual calendar of sporting, cultural, commercial and community events
- Supporting the development of industry and small business in Greater Bendigo
- Preparing long term strategies and plans to guide development and service provision into the future
- Managing tourism and visitor services
- Managing the Bendigo Livestock Exchange and the Bendigo Airport
- Statutory planning
- Sustainable environmental practices and policies
Go to the Strategy and Growth Directorate.