Strategy and Growth Directorate
The Strategy and Growth Directorate contributes to the long term economic, cultural and social prosperity of our city and region by identifying and supporting investment opportunities, tourism and events, arts and culture activities, employment generation and integrated planning for sustainable growth and environmental best practice.
The Strategy and Growth Directorate incorporates the following units:
- Bendigo Art Gallery
- Business Services
- Capital Venues and Events
- Statutory Planning
- Strategy, Economy and Environment
- Tourism and Major Events
Our business units
The Business Services unit oversees the day to day operations and guides the strategic direction of the Bendigo Airport and Bendigo Livestock Exchange, and leads the organisation’s business partnerships and relationships with the Bendigo Stadium, Golden Dragon Museum and Bendigo Heritage Attractions. The Unit provides a clear and senior liaison point into these important businesses.
The Manager currently has direct reports in the following areas of responsibility:
- Bendigo Airport – responsible for the effective and efficient operation and accreditations of the Airport, together with realising the opportunities of improved infrastructure and expanded capacity achieved by the Airport’s redevelopment project.
- Bendigo Livestock Exchange – responsible for the effective and efficient operation of this fully accredited, and major regional sheep and cattle selling complex under the National Saleyard Quality Assurance Program.
Bendigo Art Gallery
Established in 1887, Bendigo Art Gallery is the largest regional gallery in Australia. Over almost two decades the Gallery has undergone an extensive building and renovation program. A strong bequest and donor program has developed, and this has enabled the art collection to grow, with particular emphasis on contemporary Australian art.
The core of the Gallery’s charter is to collect, house and preserve works of art and provide access and education for the community. The Gallery’s reputation has grown significantly in recent years through its temporary exhibition programming, which includes loans from various international collections.
Go to Bendigo Art Gallery.
Regional Sustainable Development
The Strategy, Economy and Environment unit is strategic and visionary in its outlook. It encourages economic growth and prosperity of commerce; integrated, long term strategies to guide the physical, social, environmental and cultural development of Greater Bendigo; and protecting and conserving Greater Bendigo's natural environment, including strategic energy and water management to support resilience and climate change adaptation.
The Manager has a range of direct reports across currently across the following areas of responsibility:
- Economic Development - working with a wide variety of people and industry sectors to encourage growth and prosperity of commerce in the City and Region.
- Sustainable Environment - improving the environmental and sustainability performance of the City and region, with significant support given to policy and strategy development and promoting community action and participation.
- Strategy – facilitates and coordinates the development of major City-wide strategies, using an integrated approach across areas such as strategic land use, community and social planning, corporate planning, heritage and sustainable transport planning.
Go to strategic planning.
Capital Venues and Events
Capital Venues and Events is Council’s business unit that manage the operations, programming and hire of a suite of venues including Ulumbarra Theatre, The Capital (incorporating the Capital Theatre, Bendigo Bank Theatre and Banquet Room), The Old Fire Station (incorporating the Engine Room and Dance Studio), Bendigo Town Hall and Dudley House.
The team at Capital Venues and Events also provide ticketing services, event management, marketing, technical and stage/operation management services within and external to these venues. It produces, promotes and delivers events such as the Bendigo Writers Festival, Cushion Concerts, The Engine Room presents… touring program for small towns throughout Central Victoria and the Bendigo International Festival of Exploratory Music. An annual subscription program of performances is curated for the community, venues are hired by touring performers and are supported by the team, as are local community groups.
The Cultural Development team within the unit support the community arts sector through a variety of programs and funding opportunities that give access to creative development and experiences.
A variety of conferences, receptions, workshops, meetings, exhibitions, expos and other events are also presented in the venues and supported by the Capital Venues and Events Team.
Go to www.gotix.com.au for a full program of current performances.
For further information contact 03 5434 6100 or email [email protected]
Tourism and Major Events
The Tourism and Major Events unit promotes the development of a vibrant city and region by encouraging community and visitor participation in a range of exciting attractions, events and exhibitions, thereby creating positive economic and social benefits for both businesses and residents.
The Manager has a range of direct reports across the following areas of responsibility:
- Tourism - developing and promoting Bendigo as a leading regional visitor destination, providing market reach into Melbourne, interstate and internationally. The unit works with 3,000 tourism related small businesses across the region to provide memorable visitor experiences and to promote Greater Bendigo as a great place to visit.
- Major Events – attracting, retaining and nurturing an annual calendar of sporting, cultural, commercial and community events that deliver social and economic benefit for Greater Bendigo. The unit also presents the annual Summer in the Parks program and Bendigo Easter Festival in conjunction with sponsors, community, media partners and volunteers.
Go to Bendigo Tourism.
Go to major events
The Statutory Planning unit aims to facilitate quality development while maintaining and protecting the City's assets. The unit's core services include assessing applications for planning permission, customer service and community consultation, providing the City with statutory advice, representation at VCAT and Planning Scheme Amendment panel hearings, providing services to external clients and internal liaison with other departments.
The service is delivered at the Bendigo and Heathcote offices and offsite when necessary.
Go to Town Planning