Consider setting up regular payments to help manage your rates.
Part payments can be made towards your rates at any time. You can also set up fortnightly and monthly payments and Direct Debit is available to assist in managing these payments. See options listed below.
You can nominate to pay your rates in full or in four instalments. A discount is offered on rates that are paid early.
Early payment discount
To receive the early payment discount of 1.5% on the 2021-2022 rates, you need to have paid your rates in full by Thursday September 30, 2021. Any outstanding arrears also has to be paid in full to be eligible for the discount.
Please note: The discount is not available on the Fire Services Property Levy.
1: September 30, 2021
2: November 30, 2021
3: February 28, 2022
4: May 31, 2022
To qualify for the instalment program, the first instalment must be paid by the due date of September 30, 2021.
How to pay your rates
- By direct deposit – complete and return the Direct Debit form
- Online payments
- At any Bendigo Bank branch
- By telephone using your credit card, phone 1300 276 468 (BPOINT Biller Code 1933)
- In person at any post office
- Postbillpay on the internet or Postbillpay by phone 13 18 16
- In person at Council offices
- By mail - PO Box 3500 Bendigo DC 3554
- Centrelink Centrepay arrangements - Please contact us on 5434 6000 or download the Centrepay deduction form, complete it and return it to us
Revenue and Debt Collection Policy
View our Revenue and Debt Collection Policy.
Are you having trouble paying your rates?
The City of Greater Bendigo is committed to helping customers who are facing financial hardship.
Financial Hardship is difficulty in paying debts when they are due, or repayments on your loans.
If you are finding it hard to keep up with your rates payments or other bills, please contact our City staff for assistance. We can help assess your situation and work out what assistance is available. Our phone number is 5434 6000.
The City understands that sometimes a situation may happen in your life that can affect your ability to pay for services. This could be an illness, accident, loss of employment, some family issues, the impact of COVID-19, or a change in your circumstances.
These Financial Hardship Guidelines are in place to help in these situations.
The City staff will talk to you and ask you some questions about your situation and financial circumstances, then work together to find the best solution.
The City can offer a range of payment options. Payment options may include:
- Setting up a payment plan so you do not have to pay the full amount at once
- Part payments made towards your bill at any time
- Setting up fortnightly or monthly payments
If you need help applying for financial hardship or to contact a free financial counsellor, call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007.
Experiencing financial hardship can impact your mental health. If you are worried about your mental wellbeing, contact Beyond Blue on 1300 224 636.
If you have any questions or would like to talk to a City staff member to discuss further, please call 5434 6000.
Local Government Act 1989 – Section 181
Section 181 of the Local Government Act allows Council to sell properties where rates and charges are more than three years overdue.
The City’s Revenue & Debt Collection Policy outlines the circumstances and process for the sale of land to recover debts.
The City shall utilise the sale provisions under Section 181 of the Act in the following circumstances:
(a) where all other recovery attempts have failed; and
(b) where at least three full years rates and charges remain unpaid; and
Preparation for sale of property should commence:
(a) as soon as permitted under the Act;
(b) where five years rates and charges remain unpaid for owner occupied dwellings.
The City of Greater Bendigo intends on or after the 18 November 2021 to sell the following properties:
- Lot 1 on PS 737010N being the land described in Certificate of Title Volume 11636 Folio 160 at 16B Allingham Street, Golden Square 3555
- Lot 1 on TP 106602T being the land described in Certificate of Title Volume 9656 Folio 035 at Heathcote-Nagambie Road, Heathcote 3523
The City of Greater Bendigo intends on or after the 10 January 2022 to sell the following property:
- CP 161387 Parish of Heathcote, being the land described in Certificate of Title Volume 9669 Folio 522 at 40 Harris Lane, Heathcote 3523
The City of Greater Bendigo intends on or after the 20 April 2022 to sell the following property:
- Lot 53 on PS 517614G being the land described in Certificate of Title Volume 10823 Folio 273 at 15 Greenview Circuit, Epsom 3551
Please contact the Rates team on 5434 6000 if you have any queries
Authority to Charge Rates to a Tenant
If you are a property owner and you would like your rate notice to be sent directly to your tenant, please complete the Authority to Charge Rates to Tenant Form. Please note that only one rate notice will be issued and this notice will be sent to the ratepayer nominated on the assessment. Sending a rate notice to a tenant does not remove a property owners legal responsibility for payment of rates.
For more information about your rates please contact us on phone 03 5434 6000.