Filming in Bendigo
The City of Greater Bendigo is a film-friendly location. We aim to welcome productions to the area and minimise interruptions to the lives of residents and businesses.
There are two types of filming activity that require different permissions:
- Commercial filming – apply for a permit
- Low-impact filming – request permission
All commercial filming activities must apply for a permit for the use of a public space. Commercial filming includes television, feature films, advertising and television commercials, documentaries and music videos. A permit helps us to ensure the activity is in accordance with the regulations of this council.
Applying for a commercial filming permit
To apply for a permit download and complete the application for a permit to film PDF and then:
- Email it to [email protected]
- Mail it to Arts Officer PO Box 733, Bendigo Victoria, 3552
- Deliver it in person to our Bendigo office
We will respond within 5 business days. Permits for complex arrangements may take longer.
Filming permit fees
We do not charge fees for processing permit applications.
We may charge filming activities a service fee if Council personnel are required to be present during filming or for the provision of additional services and resources that have been requested from Council.
Requesting permission for low impact filming
If your filming activities are minor and ‘low impact’ you need to obtain our permission.
Low impact filming activities are defined by these criteria:
- Includes six people or less (includes all production crew and talent)
- No more than one camera, one tripod and handheld sound recording equipment
- Public safety is maintained at all times and all public pathways, footpaths and roads must not be blocked
To approve a low impact filming activity, we’ll require proof of your current public liability insurance and 5 business days’ notice.
Download the City of Greater Bendigo Film Policy.