Event risk assessment and public liability insurance

Audience at concert during the day

Risk management

Risk management is an important part of event management. It helps to ensure the health and safety of all persons who may be affected by the event, including the general public.

If you are hiring a council-managed property for your event, you must complete a risk assessment. This includes:

  • Emergency procedures
  • Access/egress for emergency vehicles
  • First Aid arrangements
  • Traffic management
  • Communication systems
  • Crowd control
  • Manual handling
  • Extreme weather
  • Waste management

Download the Event Management Risk Assessment Template

For assistance completing the risk assessment template please contact our Risk Management Unit on 1300 002 642.

Public liability insurance

If you hire a council-managed property, you must have current public liability insurance. You will need to provide us with a copy of your Certificate of Currency that is:

  • In the name of the event organisers/or be listed as an interested party
  • Current at the time of the activity
  • Include exclusions or limitations of policy
  • Provide coverage for at least (AU) $10,000,000

Not-for-profits and insurance

If you do not have public liability insurance and you are an individual or group hosting a non-profit making activity, we may be able to arrange coverage under our policy for a fee, depending on the nature of your activity/event.

Apply for Community Public Liability Insurance.

For more information contact our Risk Department phone 1300 002 642.

If we are not able to provide coverage for your event the Municipal Association of Victoria offers a Community Insurance Scheme for volunteer community groups, which is underwritten by the QBE Insurance Group and managed by Jardine Lloyd Thompson. Find out more on the Municipal Association of Victoria website: insurance for not-for-profit community organisations.

It is your responsibility as an event organiser to ensure that any performers/contractors and/or suppliers involved in your event have their own public liability insurance.

More information