Building and Planning

Residential area with heritage buildings

Planning permits and building permits are two separate permits which and are controlled by different laws and regulations. Depending on the type of use or development, you may need one or both of these permits.

Planning permits 

  • A planning permit may be required to use land, develop land, or both
  • The need for a planning permit is determined by the City of Greater Bendigo Planning Scheme and the zoning and overlays which apply to your property
  • If a planning permit is required, it must be approved before a building permit can be issued

Building permits 

  • A building permit is required for most building and demolition works including associated works such as a structure, fencing or retaining wall
  • The building permit process ensures buildings are structurally safe and that the works comply with state building regulations 
  • Building works are independently inspected by private building surveyors at key stages however, consent may also need to be obtained from the City's Building Department




We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*