Building Services

Construction staff in front of cement truck

Our Building Services department works to meet Council's statutory obligations and ensure compliance with building legislation and other related Acts and Regulations. Our team includes registered and qualified building surveyors, building inspectors and technical administration staff who are experienced in assisting with your building needs and enquiries. 

Building permits

You will require a building permit before undertaking most building or demolition work. To obtain this, you will need to engage a private building surveyor as Council do not issue building permits. A building permit confirms that a building surveyor has approved your plans and relevant documentation before your project begins. 

After the work is completed, your chosen building surveyor will return to check that work is completed according to the application and plans, and that it is compliant with the applicable building and safety standards.

If you are planning to demolish, extend or build, you need to understand your responsibilities. We will work with you to ensure your work is compliant and meets the relevant building and safety standards, protects the local heritage, and doesn’t have an impact on your neighbours. 

A planning permit allows permission for land use or development and a building permit allows the work you propose to do on that land to be undertaken. You may be required to obtain a planning permit. If so, it must be obtained before a building permit can be issued. A planning permit does not eliminate the need to obtain a building permit. For more information, please see Planning Permits

To protect public assets vested in Council and for the safety of persons on or near a building site, Council require the owner, builder or appointed agent to obtain an Asset Protection Permit where building work is to be carried out. For more information, please see Asset Protection.

We are often made aware of building works carried out without obtaining a building permit. If building works are carried out without the required building permit, an investigation and enforcement process is implemented. 

Your building permit will state if an occupancy permit is required before you may move into the building. Occupancy permits are required for all new buildings including new homes, units or apartments. They signify that a building surveyor is satisfied that the completed building work is suitable for occupation. For more information about occupancy permits, please visit the Victorian Building Authority website. 

The City’s process for lodgement of S80’s, S30’s and S73’s issued by private building surveyors has moved online as of July 11, 2022. We will no longer be accepting submission of these documents via email or post and payment will be required up front for the lodgement of building permit (S30) documents.

Please visit our online lodgement portal to lodge these documents.

To make it easier for you, you can become a registered user to save time when completing the online process in future. 

Please note, this portal can only be accessed by private building surveyors; it is not available to the general public. 

Contact us

For more information, please contact Building Services.

1300 002 642

[email protected]

Office hours are 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

More information

Victorian Building Authority website: Building and planning permits

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*