Building a shed, garage or outbuilding

Man building a shed

If you are planning to build a shed, garage, carport or outbuilding, you will require a building permit. 

Owner-built garages, carports or garden sheds

If you build a garage, carport or garden shed yourself, you do so as an owner-builder. This means that you have certain responsibilities, particularly when selling your property.  

If you plan to sell an owner-built shed or garage within 6.5 years of the building work being completed (i.e. from the date of your occupancy permit or certificate of final inspection), you will need a defects report from a builder. Go to the Victorian Building Authority website: Owner-builders.

Contact us

For more information about building services, please contact us on 03 5434 6347.

More information

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*