Protection of adjoining properties

New House Being Built

Protection work notices

Building works can affect your neighbours’ properties. If the work is close to other properties you may need to carry out protection works and you must notify all affected property owners.  

Protection work may include: 

  • Underpinning of adjoining property footings 
  • Shoring up of the adjoining property 
  • Overhead protection for adjoining property

Your building surveyor will determine if protection work is required when reviewing your building permit application. 

Telling your neighbours

The notice must include information on the relevant protection works and you must get a response from all the affected property owners before a permit will be issued. 

Use our protection notice templates: 

Contact us

For more information about building services please contact us on 03 5434 6347

More information

  • Victorian Building Authority

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*