Building retaining walls
If you are planning to build a retaining wall you need to understand if your project requires a building permit.
Retaining walls that are less than 1 metre high, constructed at a distance equivalent to the height away from existing buildings and any allotment boundary do not require a building permit.
Retaining walls require a building permit when:
- Constructed on or near boundaries at any height
- The proposed wall is 1 metre or more in height, at any location
- Site excavations and/or site filling for the wall affect the stability of the ground on the allotment
- Any portion of an adjoining building may be adversely affected by any excavations and/or filling
- Any portion of an adjoining allotment may be adversely affected by any excavations and/or filling.