Swimming pool and spa registration
The Victorian Government introduced new legislation on December 1, 2019; requiring the registration of swimming pools and spas with Council no later than June 1, 2020.
The new regulations require land owners, including landlords, to be responsible for registering their pool or spa. It will also be their responsibility to engage a suitably qualified registered building practitioner (ie. Building Inspector or Building Surveyor), who will issue and lodge with Council a certificate of compliance or certificate of non-compliance. These inspections and certificates will need to be lodged with Council every 4 years.
Certificates of non-compliance will need to be acted upon.
The timeline for compliance certificates to be lodged is as follows:
- Pools and spas built on or before 30 June 1994, will need to have a compliance certificate lodged by 1 June 2021
- Pools and spas built between 1 July 1994 and 1 May 2010, will need to have a compliance certificate lodged by 1 June 2022
- Pools and spas built on or after 1 May 2010, will need to have a compliance certificate lodged by 1 June 2023
Safety assessment checklists
Owners who wish to undertake the initial safety assessment themselves can follow a series of checklists provided by the Victorian Building Authority.
- Checklist 1 (for pools and spas installed before 8 April 1991)
- Checklist 2 (for pools and spas installed between 8 April 1991 and 30 April 2010)
- Checklist 3 (for pools and spas installed from 1 May 2010)
The State Government has provided the following guidelines for the fees applicable to the new regulations:
- A one-off registration fee of $79 to cover administration costs, including an information search fee.
- Compliance certificate lodgement fee $20.40
- Non-compliance certificate lodgement fee $385.10
Penalties may apply for late registration, late lodgement of certificates, or other infringements.
Please note, your pool or spa is not officially registered until payment is made. Payment can be made by submitting credit card details via the online registration portal or by calling 03 5434 6000 to give details over the phone. Please supply application number if making payment via phone.
A hard copy application is available for those that do not have access to a computer or internet. This can be obtained by calling 03 5434 6000 to request a form be sent via post.
Hard copy applications can be submitted via post to PO Box 733, Bendigo 3552. Please include a cheque or money order as payment or indicate on the form that you would like to pay via credit card and one of our customer service staff will be in contact to take details over the phone.
If you require any further information, clarification or assistance with your application, please call 03 5434 6000.
To find out more about registration requirements, inspections and compliance, please visit the Victorian Building Authority website.