Swimming pool and spa registration

Boy in goggles splashing on the side of the pool

Click here to register your pool or spa

The Victorian Government introduced new legislation on December 1 2019 requiring the registration of swimming pools and spas with Council no later than November 1, 2020. These laws are applicable to all swimming pools and spas that are capable of holding more than 300 mm (30 cm) of water, there is no exception for age or status. This includes permanent pools, above ground pools, indoor pools, hot tubs, bathing or wading pools and relocatable pools.

The new regulations require land owners, including landlords, to be responsible for registering their pool or spa. It will also be their responsibility to engage a suitably qualified registered building practitioner (ie. Private Building Inspector or Building Surveyor), who will issue and lodge with Council a certificate of compliance or certificate of non-compliance. These inspections and certificates will need to be lodged with Council every 4 years.

Compliance certificates 

A timeline for compliance certificates to be lodged is as follows:

  • Pools and spas built on or before 30 June 1994, will need to have a compliance certificate lodged by 1 November 2021
  • Pools and spas built between 1 July 1994 and 30 April 2010, will need to have a compliance certificate lodged by 1 November 2022
  • Pools and spas built between 1 May 2010 and 31 October 2020, will need to have a compliance certificate lodged by 1 November 2023

Please note, the above dates are subject to change. Correspondence from Council will determine the approximate date by which a compliance certificate is due. This can be submitted and paid for via the pool and spa registration portal. 

Certificates of non-compliance will need to be acted upon. The registered building practitioner undertaking the inspection will provide guidance on this matter.

Safety assessment checklists

Owners who wish to undertake the initial safety assessment themselves can follow a series of checklists provided by the Victorian Building Authority. These checklists are a guide only and do not amount to legal compliance of your pool or spa. An inspection from a qualified registered building practitioner is still required.

Change of ownership

If you have recently purchased a property with a pool or spa, you will need to confirm with Council that it has been registered. If the pool or spa is registered, then you will be required to provide current contact details so that we can update our records and forward any relevant correspondence relating to the pool or spa to you. Please submit a Change of Ownership Application Form in order for us to do this. If not, you will be required to submit an application to register the pool or spa at your earliest convenience to avoid possible infringements. 


The State Government has provided the following guidelines for the fees applicable to the new regulations:

  • A one-off registration fee of $79 to cover administration costs, including an information search fee.
  • Compliance certificate lodgement fee $20.40
  • Non-compliance certificate lodgement fee $385.10

Penalties may apply for late registration, late lodgement of certificates, or other infringements.

Payment options

Payment can be made by credit card via the online registration portal or in person at 15 Hopetoun Street, Bendigo or 125 High Street, Heathcote via eftpos or cheque.

A hard copy application is available for those unable to access a computer or internet. Please call 5434 6000 to request a copy to be sent via post. 

Please note, your pool or spa is not successfully registered with Council until the registration fee is paid. Failure to do so may result in further fees being applied.

If you require any further information, clarification or assistance with your application, please call 03 5434 6000.

To find out more about registration requirements, inspections and compliance, please visit the Victorian Building Authority website.

Contact us

For more information, please contact us on 03 5434 6347

More information

To find out more about registration requirements, inspections and compliance, please visit the Victorian Building Authority website.

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*