How your planning permit is assessed


The planning officer assesses the information provided with an application to decide if the use or development project is right for a particular area. This is based on what is currently there, the guidelines set out by the zoning/overlays which apply to your land and what the City of Greater Bendigo Planning Scheme foresees for the future.

We consider what impact the project may have on the neighbours and the surrounding area. Examples of impacts include traffic, noise, shadowing, visual amenity, protection of heritage buildings, trees or watercourses. We balance all these factors together to determine whether to approve a proposal or not.

In many cases we must also seek the advice of other internal and external government departments such as drainage/traffic engineers, environmental health (septics), arborists, Coliban Water, Powercor, CFA and water catchment authorities to assist in making a decision.

Please note: Town planning approval comes first, before a building permit. It is also important to note that town planning approval isn’t always needed.


Find out if you need a planning permit:

  • Do some research on the property first. Research Your Property can help you find the zones and overlays that apply to the land.
  • Ask a planning officer if your proposal needs a planning permit by calling us on 1300 002 642, or emailing the property details and a summary of your proposal to [email protected]

Responses may take 1 to 3 days.

More information

See the State's Planning website for more information about applying for a planning permit or look up the Greater Bendigo Planning Scheme to learn about zones and overlays.

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*