6. Objecting to planning proposals

If you think you may be affected detrimentally by the work proposed in a planning application, you can object.

Finding out about a planning application

If the owner of a property near you proposes building works, we may require that they 'give notice' of their plans. The application is 'advertised' to adjoining owners and occupiers in the form of a notice by mail, a public notice is placed on the site and sometimes an ad is placed in the paper.

You can view the associated plans and documents through our online register.

What can I object to?

Objections can only be based on legitimate planning grounds. Objections based on moral grounds or private and commercial competition cannot be considered as they are not within the scope of the Planning and Environment Act 1987.

Common grounds for objection may include:

  • Overshadowing
  • Overlooking/loss of privacy
  • Car parking or traffic congestion
  • Loss of significant vegetation
  • Visual bulk of building
  • Drainage
  • Noise
  • Negative changes to the amenity of the area

Issues that cannot be considered may include:

  • Loss of property value
  • Direct or indirect commercial advantage
  • Too many units in the area
  • Type of residents that may occupy new dwellings
  • Loss of view

How to object

Before submitting an objection, make sure you have viewed the associated plans and documents in our online register to understand what is being proposed.  You have 14 days from the date of the advertising notice to send us an objection.  If you need more time, just let us know.

You can submit your reasons for objection by:

Letters or forms can be emailed to [email protected] or by post to Planning Department, City of Greater Bendigo, PO Box 733, Bendigo 3552.

Your objection must include your name and address and state how you believe you will be affected by the application, for it to be considered.

The applicant will get a copy of the objections so they can respond to the issues raised. You may still object to a proposal if you are not formally notified, if you have valid grounds.

All objections will be made available for public inspection during the application process.

Privacy notice

The personal information collected is for the purposes of the planning process as set out in the Planning & Environment Act 1987.  The City must make objections or submissions available for public viewing, for the period up until a decision is made on the application.


An objection can also be in the form of a petition. The petition must identify a contact person who informs all of the other petitioners about the process of the application and who will receive a copy of the final decision.

A petition is considered to be one submission and must explain how the people that sign it are affected by the application.

Consultation and our decision

Once the advertising period has ended, the planner will begin assessing objections. Simple issues will be resolved through informal discussions. You may be asked to participate in a consultation meeting to address more complex issues.

If agreement or resolution is reached, the objectors will be required to formally withdraw their objection in writing. Then a planning permit can be issued. Download the Objection Withdrawal Form.

The applicant may be required to make changes and liaise with objectors in order to satisfy the requirements of all parties.

If agreement is unable to be reached, the application will proceed to a committee of delegated senior officers or formal Council meeting for a decision.

All objectors will be notified of Council's decision in writing. If the applicant or the objectors do not agree with the decision, an Application for Review can be lodged with VCAT to appeal the decision.

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*