Public notice of a planning application

Leave feedback

Some planning permit applicants are required to give notice of the application or to have it 'advertised'. This means the application will be advertised to all persons likely to be affected by the proposal, usually the adjoining owners and occupiers. 

The form of advertising required may include:

  • Notifying the owners/occupiers of adjoining properties by mail
  • Erecting a public notice on site, as well as direct mailing
  • Placing advertisements in the local paper (e.g. Bendigo Advertiser, McIvor Times)

The City will send you an advertising package which includes an A4 notice for sending in the mail and an A3 notice for placing on site (if required). The advertising period is 14 days and the public notice placed on site must be maintained in good condition during that time.  At the end of the advertising period, a statutory declaration must be completed as evidence that you have given notice of the application. 

A statutory declaration form is included in the information we send you. You can complete the form but don't sign it until you are in the presence of an authorised witness.

Watch the State Government's guide on how easy it is to make or witness a statutory declaration.

The City may also be required to give notice or to refer the application to other statutory authorities (such as CFA, Coliban Water etc.) for comment. These authorities can object to an application, or require the placement of conditions on any permit to be issued.

View planning applications on public notice

During the advertising period, the plans and documents associated with the planning application will be publicly available for viewing.

To view planning applications that are currently on public notice go to search planning applications on public notice.

The plans and documents listed in your search may not include all documents submitted with the application, but will include the most relevant. To see all associated documents you can visit our Hopetoun Mill office between 8.30am-5pm Monday to Friday.

Making a submission to an application

Interested parties are entitled to make a submission or to object to the application and must do so in writing within 14 days of receiving notice of the application, however all submissions must be considered up until the time a decision is made on the proposal.

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*