Common Types of Applications

Rural Landscape

The information below outlines common uses or developments that need a planning permit and the information required as part of a planning application.

Want to build a house in one of the following zones?:

  • Farming Zone
  • Rural Conservation Zone
  • Rural Living Zone

View information about Rural Dwellings

Thinking about subdividing your property in any of the following zones?:

  • General Residential Zone
  • Township Zone
  • Low Density Residential Zone

View information about Residential Subdivision

Continue to the Subdivision page to learn about the steps involved in the subdivision process.

Want to build more than two permanent houses a lot?

View information on Multi-Unit Developments

Thinking of starting a new business with a liquor license? or Do you want to make changes to an existing permit or redline area?

View information about Licensed Premises

Are you building a house or shed in an area at risk of bushfire?

View information about applying to build in the Bushfire Management Overlay

You can find more information and Bushfire Management Plan templates on the CFA Website

Please note: Whilst templates are available, you may need to seek a private consultant to do a Bushfire Management Statement for your application.

Do you need to remove a native tree? Have you tried to minimise and avoid the need to remove the tree by locating your development within a cleared location on the site?

An application to remove a tree will require the submission of a Native Vegetation Information Management (NVIM) report. This is accessible through the Department of Environment Land Water and Planning website.

Thinking of doing building or works within the heritage overlay?

Please see our heritage page and also the City's Heritage Design Guidelines for more information about developing in an area with heritage values.

When to seek other advice

If you need help with:

  • Developing/discussing design options
  • Putting an application together
  • Understanding title restrictions

You will need to seek the assistance of a private planning consultant or legal professional. 

Want more information about applying for a permit?

A duty planner is available 8.30am-5pm Monday to Friday to give general planning advice about:

- zoning/overlays

- when a planning permit is required

- what to include in an application

The planner needs to know the address of the property for your query and a general outline of what you want to do.

You can contact us on 1300 002 642 or email [email protected] 

Enquiries may take 1-3 days to respond.

VicSmart Application Process

There are two types of assessment processes for planning applications. VicSmart is a streamlined assessment process for simpler planning permit applications. 

Contact us to find out if your proposal may be considered as a VicSmart application

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*