Do I need a Planning Permit?

Man making coffee in cafe

A planning permit is a legal document that gives permission for a use and/or development on a particular piece of land.

Every property in Victoria has a set of zone and overlay planning controls that specifies how land can be used. The Greater Bendigo Planning Scheme sets out zone/overlay controls for the Greater Bendigo municipality and details if a proposal requires a planning permit.

You may need a planning permit for:

  • Changing the use of the land (such as setting up a new business)
  • Removal or lopping of native vegetation
  • Demolishing, constructing or changing a building
  • Construction of outbuildings (sheds)
  • Constructing a tennis court or swimming pool
  • Replacing or building a new fence
  • Displaying a sign
  • Starting or expanding a business without enough on-site car parking
  • Applying for a new liquor licence or extending an existing licence
  • Development of a multi-unit development
  • Subdivision of land

Find out more information about your property and if you require a planning permit by following the below links:

Our planning enquiry service can provide general information around zones and overlays which apply to your property, whether a planning permit is required and the type of information would be required as a part of a planning permit application. 

Ask a question about planning.

The Planning Department provides information about common use/developments that require planning approval. These include building a house in a rural area, building in the heritage overlay and multi-unit developments.

View a list of common types of applications.

Bendigo Community Compass is a useful online mapping tool which shows key zone and overlay information which applies to your property and neighbourhood. 

Visit the Community Compass website or our Research your Property page to look up your land.


Talk to a Planner

A duty planner is available 8.30am-5pm Monday to Friday to give general planning advice.

The planner needs to know the address of the property for your query and a general outline of what you want to do.

You can contact us on 1300 002 642 or email [email protected].  Enquiries may take 1-3 days to respond.

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*