Ask a question about planning

Chancery Lane

We offer a variety of planning pre-application advice services.

Read on for a list of options to see which best suits your enquiry:

Our planning enquiry service can provide general information around:

  • Zones and overlays which apply to your property
  • Whether a planning permit is required for a project
  • Information that would be required for a planning permit application

You will need to provide an exact property address and a brief description of what you want to do on the land.

Email general advice questions to [email protected]

Enquiries may take 1-3 days for a response.

A pre-application meeting is best suited for more complex applications such as multi-unit developments, large subdivisions, change of land use and some heritage developments. It can help you to:

  • Identify any planning issues prior to lodging an application
  • Understand the information you need to include in your planning application
  • Get accurate advice early in the process, which helps the application process to be smooth and efficient.

Please note: A pre-application meeting does not guarantee that a planning permit application will be approved. Due to current COVID restrictions meeting advice is being conducted via email, phone and video conference.

Apply for a pre-application meeting here.

If you are considering demolishing an older dwelling/building for development purposes, our Heritage team gets involved to find out if the building has any heritage significance.

The Heritage Team will provide written advice on the demolition. If ‘in principle’ support for the demolition is given, our planner can then provide advice on the proposed development.

Requests for this advice must be made in writing:

Download a Demolition Enquiry application form

Please note: You may also need consent from the Building Department for demolition.

Submit a PPE application when you need formal written advice from the Planning Department about whether a planning permit is required or if you require a Planning Officer to research and review:

  • Plans to determine if a planning permit or amendment to a planning permit is required
  • Permit History to determine if you can alter or remove a building envelope or build outside a building envelope restriction.

Requests for this advice must be made in writing.  Fees apply for written advice.

Download a PPE application form

You can request a copy of a decided planning permit and endorsed plans. Requests must be made in writing and may require a fee. 

If the permit and endorsed plans are available in our electronic document management system we may be able to email them to you free of charge. Requests for multiple permits and plans will attract a search fee.

Older planning permits that are stored in our offsite Archives will attract search fees as set out below:

  • Initial permit and plans search fee $76.50
  • Additional permits and plans $21.80 each permit
  • Photocopying $0.25 per A4 sheet if hard copy required

Request a copy of permit and plans

When to seek other advice

The Planning Departments pre-application role is to advise when a planning permit is required, details of zoning and overlay controls and what to include as a part of an application for assessment.

If you need help with:

– Developing design options

– Putting an application together

– Understanding title restrictions

You will need to seek the assistance of a private planning consultant or legal professional. 

Talk to a Planner

A duty planner is available 8.30am-5pm Monday to Friday to give general planning advice.

The planner needs to know the address of the property for your query and a general outline of what you want to do.

You can contact us on 03 5434 6000 or email [email protected]

Enquiries may take 1-3 days to respond.

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*