Our main Customer Service Centre on Lyttleton Terrace is moving to Hopetoun Street. Click here for more information.

Who you need to speak to

Leave feedback
Staff and Builder with Planning Overlay Map


The City has a planning scheme which controls how Bendigo is shaped and developed in line with community needs (Greater Bendigo Planning Scheme). Planning Officers use the scheme when assessing all applications.

The planning team consider applications for planning permits that relate to the use, development and subdivision of land.

Once a business has an address to operate from, they must check their obligations with the Planning Department as a first step.


  • Changing the use of the land (e.g. from retail to a cafe)
  • Operating a business
  • New buildings or alterations to existing buildings
  • Alterations to heritage listed shop fronts
  • Liquor licences (different to the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation)
  • Signage for business (either building or free standing)
  • Increasing a red line area (defined area for consuming liquor)
  • Reductions in car parks
  • Cafés operating in non-commercial areas


The Building Department can assist you to understand your obligations with any building or demolition work. The City’s qualified building surveyors and inspectors can assist you with accessibility, compliance, building safety and preservation of heritage.

The Building department will work with you to ensure your work complies with all relevant building legislation.

Environmental Health

The Environmental Health unit encompasses Local Laws. The unit inspect, monitor, educate and regulate facilities and their immediate environment. The unit exists to improve public health and community safety.

They register and inspect the following businesses:

  • Accommodation

  • Beauty

  • Skin penetration

  • Colonic irrigation

  • Hairdressing

  • Food

Environmental Health Officers (EHO’s) conduct a high volume of inspections each year, so they may not always be available to take your call immediately. The friendly administration staff will happily forward your messages to a delegated EHO that can return your call upon their return.

Local Laws

The Local Laws unit identifies and enforces local issues that are important to the community. Local laws put controls in place to ensure public safety, amenity and protection of natural and community assets.

Local Laws assist business with outdoor dining, signage, display of goods on the sidewalk and enforcement of bin placement.

Need help understanding where to go?

The Business Help Desk can guide you through the City's requirements.

Contact Customer Support and ask for the Business Help Desk on 03 5434 6000.

Email [email protected] to arrange a one on one meeting.

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*