Our main Customer Service Centre on Lyttleton Terrace is moving to Hopetoun Street. Click here for more information.

Home based business

Leave feedback
Child looking over computer and desk

Operating a business from home can be flexible, convenient and can save you money.

Understanding how to comply with Planning Regulations for a home based business can be difficult, so we have included some information below to help you understand the basics.

We encourage you to contact Town Planning staff if you have any questions.

You may not need to apply for a planning permit, provided you meet these requirements

  • You must live in the dwelling
  • You can employ two staff members who do not live in the dwelling
  • The net floor area (including storage area) cannot be more than 100 square metres, or more than one-third of the net floor area of the dwelling, whichever is less
  • You can’t impose a utility load (e.g. power or water) greater than a normal domestic use
  • The business must not affect the amenity of the neighbourhood with regard to the appearance of the building or materials used, car parking, transporting of goods, hours of operation, electrical interference, storing chemicals or other hazardous materials, noise, smells and dust.
  • Cars cannot be serviced or repaired for profit
  • Only one commercial vehicle under 2 tonnes can be present at any time
  • Only goods manufactured or serviced on the premises can be sold or stored
  • No goods manufactured or serviced on the premises can be visible from outside the site.
  • Any goods offered for sale online must not be collected from the dwelling

If your business does not meet the above requirements you may still apply for a planning permit for home occupation where:

  • You can employ up to 3 people who do not live in the dwelling
  • The floor area is up to 200 square metres or one-third of the gross floor area of the dwelling, whichever is less
  • Up to 2 commercial vehicles under 2 tonnes can be present at any time.

Advertising signs

You can have a sign at any location on your property advertising your business at home provided it is not larger than 0.2 square metres (20cm x 20cm). If you want a larger sign or an illuminated sign, you will need to apply for a planning permit.

If you want to display a sign on a heritage listed property, you will need to speak to one of our Town Planners.

Other considerations

Town Planners will also consider landscaping, screening, and parking and loading requirements for your home business, as these business activities can affect residents within your neighbourhood.


Are you a home based food business?

Our Environmental Health unit can assist you to comply with any requirements.

Visit the Food Business webpage and download their Home based food business fact sheet.

Do you need more advice?

Contact our Business Help Desk on 03 5434 6000 for a one on one meeting or email [email protected] for further information.

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*