Walk to School
Walk to School 2019
Monday October 7 – Friday November 1, 2019
During October 2019, local primary school schools and students throughout City of Greater Bendigo are encouraged to walk to school. The City of Greater Bendigo in partnership wiht VicHealth, is again supporting primary schools to be involved in the Walk to School program, which is a great way to help students learn healthy habits and achieve the recommended 60 minutes of physical activity every day.
Active travel options like walking, riding or scooting are also a great opportunity to connect with friends and local communities, reduce traffic congestion and help the environment.
There are many ways to get involved – walking from home to school following safe routes, having designated meeting points a few blocks away from school, or even walking laps around the oval or scooting laps around the basketball courts. These all count as walks!
In 2018, 33 local primary schools throughout the region registered to participate in Walk to School – which is over 70% of our local schools getting involved.
How schools can participate
Each school is different, so there are many diverse ways to get involved. Some ideas include:
- Mapping and promoting safe walking routes near the school
- Having a best decorated shoes/bike/scooter competition
- Having student house captains lead walks around the school oval at lunchtime so students dropped off by bus can participate
- Incorporating the program into students’ learning outcomes by having them take statistics on the number of bikes and scooters in the bike racks throughout the month
- Hosting a community walk with other schools and community groups in the town
City of Greater Bendigo makes it easy for schools to get involved by:
- Registering all schools with the program
- Ordering resources on their behalf
- Providing ideas for how they can get involved in Walk to School
- Conducting competitions to encourage participation during and after Walk to School month
- Collecting and logging each school’s participation data via the VicHealth portal
Walk to School is expected to recommence in October 2019 with further details to be provided.