Child Friendly City
Bendigo was the first city in Australia to be recognised as a Child Friendly City by the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) in 2007.
Living in a Child Friendly City is a commitment by the whole community to embrace the vision of children and to strive to achieve a sustainable urban future for the city.
- Children are equal citizens with the same rights as adults
- Children are asked their ideas and opinions
- Children's ideas and opinions are seriously considered by adults
- Children feel safe in their community
- Adults care for the environment for children now and in the future
The City of Greater Bendigo works to maintain our status as a Child Friendly City by:
- Raising general awareness of the importance of building a Child Friendly City
- Consulting with children to support its planning processes
- Providing free children and family events throughout the city
We organise and support many child friendly community events that celebrate children and recognise the valuable contribution they make to our city. Events include:
- Splash in to Fun with Playgroup Victoria
- NAIDOC Children's Day
- Children's Book Week
- Neighbourhood Family Fun Nights
- FunLoong Fun Day
These events are held at low or no cost to participants, are open to all members of the community and provide experiences such as arts and crafts, physical activities, live performances, face painting, animal farms and more.