Maternal and child health service
Update for maternal and child health service: Stage 3 restrictions
We have returned to face-to-face appointments for all age groups.
Due to COVID-19 we're experiencing high demand for appointments and are currently running a wait list. We're continuing to prioritise infants (0 to 8 weeks) and children aged 3 and a half as they prepare for Kindergarten in 2021.
To ensure safe social distancing we encourage where possible that only one caregiver and child attend the appointment.
All staff and caregivers should wear a mask for consultations in line with Victorian regulations.
Please do not come to the centre if anyone in your household is unwell. Call 03 4408 6590 to change your appointment to a phone consultation or to reschedule your appointment.
We are in the process of setting up appointments via Health Direct which is the leading provider of telehealth in Australia.
Some of our centres are operating from different locations:
- The Bendigo Central nurses have moved permanently to the Helen Jessen Centre, 145 Crook Street Strathdale
- The Eaglehawk office at Bendigo Community Health has closed permanently and other options are currently being investigated. Alternative locations for the appointments will be texted to individual clients the week and day prior to the appointment
- The Heathcote office has temporarily moved to the Heathcote Hospital, Hay Street side entry. This entry cannot be opened from the outside so the nurse will open the door at your appointment time. As this is located at the hospital, your temperature will be taken and you will be asked COVID-19 wellness questions on arrival.
First time parent groups will continue to run via Zoom with the option for outdoor sessions.
Please call 03 4408 6590 if you have any queries.
The maternal and child health service
The Maternal and Child Health Service is a free service available to all parents and carers with children from birth to school age.
Our Maternal and Child Health centres offer:
- Child growth and development assessments
- Referrals to other health agencies
- Health and early parenting information
- Links to community resources
- New parents’ groups
Our Maternal and Child Health Nurses are all registered nurses with qualifications in Midwifery and Maternal and Child Health.
Parents and carers can get information, guidance and support on:
- Child health and development
- Maternal health
- Parent-child relationships
- Home and care safety for infants
- Child accident and injury prevention
- Family planning
Make an appointment to visit a centre
To make an appointment, contact our Early Years Team on 03 4408 6590.
Our service is a "well" service. If you have an appointment booked and either you or your child is unwell, please call our Early Years Team to reschedule your appointment.
Interpreting services are available for all consultations. Please contact our Early Years Team in advance of your appointment and they will organise an interpreter to be present.
Make a booking or contact us
For more information, please contact the Early Years Team on 03 4408 6590.
Our Maternal and Child Health Centres are closed on Code Red Days.
Understand more about the Maternal and Child Health service
Visit the Victorian Education website to read more about the free Maternal and Child Health service.
Covid-19 Information Update for Parents
Visit the Victorian Health website for COVID-19 information for parents with infants and young children.