The Greater Bendigo Rural Communities Committee provides strategic advice to Council through:
- Identifying key issues and opportunities relevant to rural community wellbeing, vibrancy and resilience and developing and implementing collaborative, coordinated responses
- Supporting the gathering and consideration of diverse rural community perspectives in local community and Council decision making
- Supporting the planning, delivery and evaluation of targeted initiatives aimed at strengthening rural community capabilities and capacities
- Sdentifying potential opportunities and rationale for the modification of Council processes with the intent of improving community and organisational outcomes
The Committee is made up of:
- Three Councillors (the Chairperson)
- Up to nine community representatives who have a passion for and commitment to rural community leadership and advancement, plus appropriate knowledge, skills and experience
- A City of Greater Bendigo Health and Wellbeing Director and / or Manager
- Relevant City of Greater Bendigo Community Partnerships unit staff
The Committee meets four times a year and community representative membership is for two years.
City of Greater Bendigo Mental Health Promotion Plan
Dry seasonal conditions in previous years have had a significant impact on the health and well-being of our rural communities.
To support these communities, the Department of Health and Human Services has provided funding to the City of Greater Bendigo to develop a Mental Health Promotion Plan (MHPP).
This plan has a range of initiatives aimed at raising community awareness of mental health issues and services and developing resilience. Read the Supporting Mental Health in Greater Bendigo information sheet..
For more information about the Rural Communities Committee please contact us on 03 5434 6000.