Using scooters and electric wheelchairs
Motorised scooters and wheelchairs help you to move around independently if you cannot walk or you have difficulty walking.
But did you know that scooter and wheelchair users are classed as pedestrians under traffic laws, which means you must travel at up to 10 km per hour and stay on the footpath or off-road bicycle paths.
Safety tips for wheelchair and scooter users
For your safety and to avoid accidents we recommend you:
- Ensure your batteries are fully charged and know how long they will last
- Choose a safe route – avoid rough paths and low branches
- Stay on footpaths or off-road bicycle paths
- Make yourself visible – use lights, flags or reflective clothing
- Use your indicators or a hand signal
- Cross the road only if you have a clear view
- Assume drivers and other pedestrians may not have seen you or heard you coming
For more road rules and safety tips, download the Stay Safe! brochure or order a print copy using our online form (below).
The City has developed Accessibility Maps, which provide valuable information that can assist people of all abilities to get around The City of Greater Bendigo. Maps include features such as accessible toilets, scooter/wheelchair charge up points, audible pedestrian crossings and much more. To download a digital copy of the maps, follow this link: Accessibility Maps
Free charging locations for wheelchairs and scooters around Bendigo
- Bendigo Library (located behind the stairwell next to the photocopier) – Hargreaves Street
- Bendigo UFS, Hargreaves Street Pharmacy – 379 Hargreaves Street
- Bendigo UFS, View Street Pharmacy – corner View and Barnard streets
- Bendigo Bank (Fountain Court Arcade near lifts) – corner High and Mitchell streets
- Bendigo Marketplace (between Erindale Butcher and the Bendigo Original Pie Shop) – 37 Garsed Street
- Bendigo Railway Station (inside, opposite the café) – Railway Place
- Bendigo TAFE, City Campus (Building P, Library) – McCrae Street
- Intereach (NDIS) - 384 Hargreaves Street
- MatchWorks – 26 St Andrews Avenue
Bendigo Mobility Services – 3/89 Victoria Street (via the lane)
OAPL Health and Mobility Centre – 401-405 High Street
Heathcote Visitor Information Centre – corner High and Barracks streets
- Kangaroo Flat Library – High Street
- Sharkey Mobility Aids – 73 Short St
Long Gully Neighbourhood Centre – 52-54 Derwent Drive
- Bendigo Prince of Wales Showgrounds (in the conference hall under the power board) – Holmes Road
Download the Charge Up Flyer for a printable list of free recharging locations around Bendigo. Recharge locations are also plotted on the Bendigo Access Maps.
Provide a Charge Up location at your business
If you would like to provide a free recharging location for residents and visitors with scooters and electric wheelchairs at your business, contact the Disability Inclusion Team on 03 5434 6000 or email [email protected].
Order a Stay Safe booklet
Stay Safe booklets can be ordered free within the municipalities of Greater Bendigo and Loddon Shire or purchased at a cost of $2 per booklet for orders outside of these municipalities.