Fences abutting Council land
The City of Greater Bendigo will contribute half of the cost for construction, replacement or repair (including timber plinth) for standard Colorbond fences abutting qualifying Council-owned properties. This is as per the Fences Act 1968 (Fences Amendment Act 2014).
The City will not contribute to “half cost fencing” where:
- Properties are adjacent to Crown Land (including where Council is the Land Manager)
- Properties are adjacent to “roads” including road reserves, laneway, walkways and right of ways
- Properties are adjacent to reserves that are vested in Council
- Properties are adjacent to other authority’s land (e.g. Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, Coliban Water, VicTrack)
- Properties that are not ‘owned’ (freehold) by Council
Approval must be obtained prior to any repair or replacement of fences. The City of Greater Bendigo will not consider contribution after works have commenced or are completed. Vehicle or pedestrian gates are not permitted.
To clarify your neighbouring property’s ownership status please complete the Half Cost Fencing Eligibility Enquiry Form
Contact a neighbour about fencing
To find out the name and address of an adjoining landowner for the purpose of fencing, please complete our online form.