Fences abutting Council land

Neighbours talking at boundary fence

The City of Greater Bendigo will contribute half of the cost for construction, replacement or repair (including timber plinth) for standard Colorbond fences abutting qualifying Council-owned properties. This is as per the Fences Act 1968 (Fences Amendment Act 2014). 

The City will not contribute to “half cost fencing” where:

  • Properties are adjacent to Crown Land (including where Council is the Land Manager)
  • Properties are adjacent to “roads” including road reserves, laneway, walkways and right of ways
  • Properties are adjacent to reserves that are vested in Council
  • Properties are adjacent to other authority’s land (e.g. Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, Coliban Water, VicTrack)
  • Properties that are not ‘owned’ (freehold) by Council 

Approval must be obtained prior to any repair or replacement of fences. The City of Greater Bendigo will not consider contribution after works have commenced or are completed. Vehicle or pedestrian gates are not permitted.

To clarify your neighbouring property’s ownership status please complete the Half Cost Fencing Eligibility Enquiry Form


Contact a neighbour about fencing

To find out the name and address of an adjoining landowner for the purpose of fencing, please complete our online form.

Contact us

For more information about half-cost fencing, contact the Property team on 1300 002 642 or [email protected]

More information

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*