Native vegetation, forestry and land management

Native purple flowers in the bush

We work to preserve our local natural environment by protecting native vegetation, running offsets programs, eradicating weeds and providing information to landowners to promote better land management.

Native vegetation offsets

Native vegetation offset sites provide credits that are required by planning permits to offset the removal of native vegetation. We own and manage two sites, one in Huntly and one in Maiden Gully.

Firewood collection

You may not collect firewood from any of our roadsides or reserves or from roads managed by VicRoads. There are specific sites around Bendigo where firewood can be collected in spring and autumn. Check dates and locations for the Loddon Mallee region at the Forest Fire Management Victoria website: Firewood collection.


We have established forestry plantations to decrease land degradation, provide a resource for high value timbers, a tree-seed source, enhance biological diversity and reduce greenhouse gases. Our three plantations are:

  • Huntly – 242 hectares – planted between 1999 and 2001
  • Long Gully Creek – 16 hectares – planted in October 2001
  • Knowsley – 119 hectares – planted in 2003

We have awarded a contract to Bendigo based business Wood4Good to harvest waste timber from our Huntly and Knowsley forestry plantations to sell as firewood. Firewood can be ordered and purchased through the wood4good website.

Protecting native vegetation

Native vegetation are plants that are indigenous to Victoria. It includes trees, shrubs, herbs and grasses. A planning permit is required to remove, destroy or lop native vegetation. To find out if you require a planning permit phone 1300 002 642.

Roadside vegetation

Roadside vegetation is any vegetation that is growing between the edge of the road and the property boundary. You need to get consent to remove vegetation within the road reserve. For more information contact the Engineering and Public Space Unit on 1300 002 642.  

We have developed a number of processes and policies to support the conservation of the natural and cultural heritage values present on our local roadsides. This includes:


Weeds are plants that grow in the wrong place. This can be our natural bushland, creeks or riverbanks, gardens or paddocks.

The Invasive Plants and Animals Policy 2019 sets out how we manage regional, state and federally listed weeds and pest animals on land owned or managed by the City of Greater Bendigo.

Noxious weeds are listed under the Catchment and Land Protection Act 1994. Landowners are required to control noxious weeds on their land.

Go to the Agriculture Victoria website: Managing noxious weeds.

Management of weeds on roadsides

We have a program in place to manage regionally prohibited and regionally controlled weeds on roadsides. Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions, which includes Agriculture Victoria, are the responsible government department for weeds and pest animals on private land. Visit their website for more information about:

Roadside Weed and Pest Animal Control Plan

The City is awarded funds annually from the Victorian Government to control weeds and pest animals on Council managed rural roadsides across the municipality. A Roadside Weed and Pest Animal Control Plan has been established to outline actions to prevent the introduction of and control the spread of priority invasive weeds and animals.   

Weed identification and management

The Weeds Identification Field Guide was developed by the North Central Catchment Management Authority to help land managers identify and manage weeds within the region.

Urban salinity

Urban salinity is the movement of salt to the lands surface due to raised groundwater levels resulting from vegetation clearance and the increase in additional quantities of water in the ground.

Salinity is common throughout the urban and peri-urban regions of Greater Bendigo. Salinity can cause significant damage to natural and built environments.

To find out more about salinity go to:

Caring for Country

Caring for Country is a guide to assist land managers to protect the health of their land and broader environment. It includes topics such as soil, biodiversity, waterways, plant and animal life. Visit North Central Catchment Management Authority's website: Caring for Country.

Contact us

For more information please contact the Climate Change and Environment Unit on 1300 002 642 or email: [email protected]