Sustainable water management
We are becoming more water sensitive to ensure the health of our waterways, which have important environmental, cultural, recreational and economic values.
Water Sensitive Bendigo
A fifty year vision has been prepared to transition Bendigo to a Water Sensitive City. The Vision and Transition Strategy for Water Sensitive Bendigo includes strategies and desired outcomes for a sustainable water future. The document was informed by extensive consultation with government agencies, industry representatives and the community.
Urban stormwater management is the process of controlling runoff to avoid flooding and minimise the harmful effects urbanisation can have on the health of waterways. For more information go to Stormwater and drainage.
The 2013-2016 Urban Stormwater Management Plan includes actions to improve stormwater management within the city.
Planning and construction to protect and save water
If you are planning a subdivision or new construction in the Bendigo area you need to meet water quality requirements. Go to water sensitive planning and construction.
Greywater is household waste water from the kitchen, bathroom or laundry that may be used to water gardens and lawns during extended dry periods. To use greywater safely:
- Use it immediately – don’t store it
- Don’t use it on vegetables or anything you plan to eat
- Use detergents and soaps that contain low levels of phosphorous
- Wash your hands after watering
Find out more, go to the Smart Gardens for a Dry Climate website: Watering for the do’s and don'ts of using greywater.
Go to septic tanks and waste water management or contact the Environmental Health unit on phone 03 5434 6000.
Water management agencies
- Coliban Water - urban water supply, water restrictions, permanent water savings rules and incentives
- Goulburn Murray Water – rural water supply
- North Central Catchment Management Authority – waterway health
- Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning – water resource management coordination
For more information about environment and sustainability please contact us on 03 5434 6000.