Accommodation businesses

Leave feedback
Schaller Studio

Our Environmental Health and Local Laws unit is responsible for registering local accommodation premises. These include:

  • B&Bs that accommodate 6 or more people
  • Hotels and motels
  • Rooming houses
  • Caravan parks
  • Hostels
  • Student dormitories

Apply to register your accommodation business

To register you need to submit the following:

  • Complete the register an accommodation business form
  • Payment of the appropriate fee
  • Supply plans drawn to scale of 1 to 100 showing layout of proposed premises and dimensions of all rooms, beds, bathrooms and the finishes to walls, ceilings and floors.

We will assess your plans to ensure they meet the requirements of the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009.

When construction is completed you will need to contact us to arrange a final inspection. If all works comply with the Regulations, your business will receive a Certificate of Registration.

Your application will take a minimum of 15 days. When you receive a Certificate of Registration, your business may commence trading.

Renewing your business registration

Registration is renewed annually on 31 December each year.

You will receive a renewal notice by the end of October. If you do not receive your renewal by mid November please contact 03 5434 6308 or [email protected]

Transferring ownership of an accommodation business

If you are selling your business you must transfer your registration into the new proprietors name. 

To transfer ownership of an accommodation business, complete the application to register and transfer registration of an accommodation business and submit it with the transfer fee.  An inspection of the premises will be conducted by an Environmental Health Officer and if the premises is compliant, a Certificate of Transfer will be issued.  If works are required, these will need to be completed before a Certificate of Transfer is issued.  A Certificate of Transfer must be issued before the new proprietors can commence trading.

Applications take a minimum of 15 business days to process.

Contact us

For more information about environmental health please contact our office on 03 5434 6000 or [email protected]

More information

Looking for more business support?

Contact our Business Help Desk for a one on one meeting on 03 5434 6000 or email [email protected]

Interested in promoting your tourism business?

The City and Bendigo Tourism work together to provide new ways for your business to access new markets. Read more about joining Bendigo Tourism.

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*