Permit for an open air burn

Logs and pellets on fire

Coronavirus (COVID-19) 

Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic local law permits to burn are limited at this time to essential clean-up for fire prevention purposes on larger properties.

In more heavily populated residential areas we are encouraging residents to consider burning as a last resort to:

  • Limit the need in the current situation for CFA volunteers having to attend call outs
  • Limit the need for City staff to attend private property to inspect, and respond to complaints
  • Limit smoke in the environment to ensure the best possible health for the community at this time, with coronavirus impacting airways and lungs

Alternatives to burning off include using your organics bin. When material is too large to fit in your organics bin, green waste can be disposed of free of charge at the Eaglehawk Landfill and Heathcote Transfer Station.


A permit from the City of Greater Bendigo is required for an outdoor burn for properties less than 1 Hectare in size and for properties 1 Hectare in size or larger if the fire is to be 4 metres wide x 4 metres long x 3 metres high, or larger.

Outdoor burns on larger properties are still required to comply with regulations in the CFA Act and City of Greater Bendigo Community Local Law.

Permits for open air fires are considered for the purpose of preparing your property for the fire danger period.

Burning should be a last resort, alternatives include using your green bin, composting, mulching and taking the material to your closest landfill and recycling centre. Free green waste dates are published on the website.

Permits for open air fires include the following conditions, and extra conditions may be added:

  • The permit if for a burn on one day only, however the timeframe approved allows you to choose the most suitable day to conduct a burn within a 7 day period
  • All burns may be inspected before a permit is issued
  • If the burn exceeds 1 cubic metre, it will be inspected before a permit is issued
  • The fire must be located no closer than 5 metres to the property boundary or any building or structure
  • The fire must be cleared of flammable material for a radius of 3 metres or more depending on your permit
  • A fire cannot be lit if the wind speed is greater than 15kph
  • The fire must be supervised by an adult at all times until completely extinguished
  • There must be an adequate water supply accessible
  • The permit holder must notify all immediate and adjoining neighbours of the intended burn at least 24 hours before the fire is lit. Do not burn if smoke will impact your neighbours or if your neighbours object
  • The fire must be registered with CFA VicFire on 1800 668 511, at least two hours before ignition

If you do not wish to apply for a permit online, you can download and complete the Application for Open Air Burning hard copy form.

Please allow three days for your permit application to be processed. You may be asked to provide a photograph of your proposed burn.

Address where open air fire will be located*
Postal address for applicant*
How do you wish to receive the permit?*

Contact us

For more information about open air fires and fire prevention services please contact us on 1300 002 642 or email [email protected]

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*