Water carters for private drinking water

Truck being filled with water

The Food Act 1984 applies to the sale of food, including water that is sold for human consumption or is used in the preparation of food.

It is an offence to sell water for this purpose that is unsafe or unsuitable for human consumption.  

Private water carters transport water for:  

  • Human consumption, or  

  • Purposes connected with human consumption, such as the preparation of food or the making of ice for consumption or for the preservation of unpackaged food

More information can be found on the Department of Health website, private drinking water carter requirements.

To apply to register your water carting activities in accordance with the Food Act 1984, go to Streatrader.

Water carting may also require permits and registrations with Coliban Water.

Contact us

For more information about environmental health please contact our office on 1300 002 642 or [email protected]

More information

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*