General waste bin
Help us to reduce waste going into our landfill by sorting your waste into the right bins.
Your general waste is collected each week and on all public holidays except for Good Friday and Christmas Day.
How do I know when my bins are collected?
Check online: To see your next bin collection days, start typing your street address below and wait for it to appear in the drop-down field.
Download a calendar: Download a collection calendar for your area, which will show organics and recycling alternating collections. If you don't know which collection calendar you are on (A or B), you can check online as above.
Putting out your bin
To ensure your bin is emptied on collection day:
- Place bins out by 6am in the morning
- Place the bin near the kerb with the handle facing your house
- Keep at least 50cm of space around bins
- Close the lid - as our trucks are side loading, this prevents contents falling out
- Ensure the weight of your bin is not exceeding of 60 kilos
In residential areas your bin should not be on the kerb, except for the 24 hours either side of your collection day.
Mobile bins are our property. Please do not take bins with you if you move.
What goes in the general waste bin
The following waste should be placed in your general waste bin:
- Clothing and shoes (not suitable for donation)
- Small household polystyrene or foam trays
- Household general waste
- Broken glass, mirrors or ceramics
- Light bulbs
Do not put in your general waste bin:
- Garden clippings
- Bulk packaging polystyrene
- Gas bottles
- Paints or solvents
- Bricks, rubble, timber or tiles
- Pesticides, oils or chemicals
Downsize your household bin and save money
You can downsize your general waste bin to a smaller bin.
A smaller bin will:
- Save you up to $149 on your rates (on a pro rata basis)
- Be easier for you to move
Renters should contact the property owner or real estate agent to discuss changes to waste collection services.
For more information about our waste collection services please contact us on 1300 002 642.
A-Z Guide for Waste
Download an A-Z guide for waste disposal.
Download a guide to the three bin organics, recycling and waste system, including what can and can’t go in each bin.
Download a translation: