Hard waste is the non-degradable waste that is too large to fit into a garbage bin. It includes whitegoods, furniture, household appliances, metals, wood, old car parts and tools.
In 2019 the Greater Bendigo City Council carried out a special Reuse and Recycle Home Collection trial to determine whether such a service could be introduced throughout the municipality in the future.
Over 4,900 homes located in Flora Hill, Kennington and Axedale were eligible to participate in the three-month Reuse and Recycle Home Collection trial which took place from June 17, 2019 to September 13, 2019.
Through the trial, participating households were eligible for one free-of-charge collection of certain unwanted re-useable or recyclable household items by booking with the City online.
There were 495 participants that used the trial offer during this three-month period. All 495 participants were surveyed after the trial was completed and 60 per cent of these users advised that they would not utilise the service in the future if there was a cost associated of between $60 - $90 per annum.
The City was able to provide this cost estimation due to an expression of interest process that took place prior to the trial to determine what the cost to each household would be for one collection per annum.
Due to these results, Council has determined that a home collection service will not be introduced at this stage due to the low numbers of participation in the trial and the response from the participants as below.
Do you own or rent the property?
Rent - 25.6%
Own - 74.36%
Would you use the service if there was a fee of $60-$90 added to the cost of your rates for one collection per year?
Yes - 38.92%
No - 61.08%
If you require collection of hard waste goods from your home, please see below a list of private contractors who can assist with your request.
White goods, hard waste, electronic equipment, TVs
- Eaglehawk Recycle Shop – 189 Upper California Gully Road, Eaglehawk phone 03 5446 3467
TVs and monitors (only)
- Strathfieldsaye Transfer Station – 998 Wellington Road, Strathfieldsaye phone 0436 802 419
- Goornong Transfer Station – 55-59 English's Road, Goornong phone 0437 700 852
Building waste, bricks, rubble
- Allstone Quarries (ASQ) – Alexandra Street, Eaglehawk phone 03 5446 1292
- Ken Hopley Demolition Recycling – 6 Prospect Road, Bendigo phone 03 5443 1466
- Accurate Demolitions – Bendigo phone 0409 012 780
- Pearce Concrete - 153-157 Allingham St, Golden Square phone 03 5447 0388
- Triple R Waste Oil Collection – Bendigo phone 1300 737 615
Clothing, textile recyclers
- Salvation Army Family Stores – 9 Whip Court, Long Gully phone 03 5442 4656
Bin hire, recycling
- SUEZ Bendigo Services Centre – 29-33 Howard Street, Epsom phone 03 5446 5100
- Cleanaway Cardboard Recycling – Bendigo phone 131 339
- Garden Gully Bin Hire – Bendigo phone 0419 117 238
- Big Boy Recycle bin hire – 132 Maiden Gully Road, Maiden Gully phone 03 5449 6849
- Veolia Recycling Services – Bendigo phone 132 955
- Sandhurst Enterprise Recycling – Piper Lane, Bendigo East phone 03 5441 6795
- Tiger Bin Hire – 3 George Street, Bendigo phone 0467 542 366
- Pig Bins – Bendigo phone 1300 744 246
Printer and toner cartridges
- Cartridge World Bendigo 03 5444 4984
Metal recyclers, auto-parts recycling
- One Steel Metal Recycling – 6 Baldock Court, Eaglehawk phone 03 5446 1800
- ALBA Metal Recycling – 3 Wellsford Drive, Bendigo East phone 03 5442 6470
- K.J.P.A Maher Metal Recyclers & Car Removals – 53 Stephenson Street, Huntly phone 03 5448 8122
- Central Vic Recycling (dismantlers, auto parts) – 32A Caldwells Road, Eaglehawk phone 0401 193 430