Help us to reduce waste going into our landfill by sorting waste into the right bins. Your household recycling bin has a yellow or blue lid that is collected fortnightly and on all public holidays except for Good Friday and Christmas Day.
How do I know when my bins are collected?
Check online: To see your next bin collection days, start typing your street address below and wait for it to appear in the drop-down field.
Download a calendar: Download a collection calendar for your area, which will show organics and recycling alternating collections. If you don't know which collection calendar you are on (A or B), you can check online as above.
Putting out your bin
To ensure your bin is emptied on collection day:
- Place bins out by 6am in the morning
- Place the bin near the kerb with the handle facing your house
- Keep at least 50cm of space around bins
- Close the lid - as our trucks are side loading, this prevents contents falling out
- Ensure the weight of your bin is not exceeding of 60 kilos
In residential areas your bin should not be on the kerb, except for the 24 hours either side of your collection day.
Mobile bins are our property. Please do not take bins with you if you move.
Increasing the size of your recycling bin
If you run out of space in your recycling bin each fortnight you could request a larger 360Lt bin.
What to put in your recycling bin
YES you can recycle the following:
- Plastic bottles and lids
- Plastic jars, bottles and tubs (margarine, peanut butter, sauce bottles etc)
- Plastic shampoo and condition bottles and other cosmetic bottles and tubs (moisturiser, hair product etc)
- Plastic cleaning product bottles including lids (including spray bottles)
- Plastic milk bottles
- Glass jars and bottles including lids (just take the lids off and place in recycling)
- Egg cartons
- Paper, cardboard and cardboard boxes of all kinds
- Junk mail
- Phone books
- Toilet rolls, paper towel rolls
- Aluminium cans
- Aluminium foil (clean and balled up to the size of your fist)
- Aluminium baking trays (all sizes and clean)
- Tin cans
- Aerosol cans
NO you can't recycle the following:
- Household waste
- Plastic takeaway containers and lids
- Plastic cups
- Plastic bags
- Ice cream cartons (Ben and Jerry’s, Connoisseur etc)
- Broken household crockery and glassware
- Food and garden waste
- Textiles and clothing
- Disposable coffee cups
- Milk, juice and long life product cartons
We want your lids! Just separate the different materials!
A plastic vegemite lids needs to be separated from a glass jar
As for hard plastic soft drink lids - leave them on and pop them in your recycling.
Public place recycling
We have placed recycling bins throughout the Bendigo region – in parks, gardens, sporting grounds and public places. These bins will take everything that you recycle at home! Please see the above list for what can be recycled.
For more information about our waste collection services please contact us on 1300 002 642.
A-Z guide for waste
Download an A-Z guide for waste disposal.
Download a guide to the three bin organics, recycling and waste system, including what can and can’t go in each bin.
Download a translation:
General waste bin
Landfill and Transfer Stations