Click here for service updates and COVID-19 information.

Contesting a parking fine

Leave feedback
People writing on note paper

If you have received a parking fine and you don't believe you should have, you can apply for an internal review.

Most reviews are completed within 14 days, however the Infringements Act allows up to 90 days or longer if additional information is required.

You will be notified in writing of the outcome of the internal review.

If you have not received a written response and you would like to check that your application for internal review has been received  please contact the Safe and Healthy Environments Unit on 03 5434 6000.

Infringements which have been referred to Fines Victoria or the Magistrates' Court can't be subject to an internal review.

Please note that the Mayor and Councillors can't have any involvement in the internal review process and are unable to respond to letters/enquiries regarding fines. All requests for internal review must be made in writing and directed to the Review Officer. 

Apply for a review

You can apply for a review of your infringement by:

  • Using our Request a Parking Fine Review online form
  • Downloading the Parking Fine Review Application Form and sending it to PO Box 733, Bendigo 3552.
  • Writing a letter to the City of Greater Bendigo Parking department detailing the circumstances under which you would like the infringement reviewed.
  • Please note: for a review to be conducted your application for review must include your first and last name, contact details and infringement number.

The following services are available if you require legal assistance.

Victoria Legal Aid

Federation of Community Legal Centres

Justice Connect Homeless Law

Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service Centre


Your vehicle, another driver

If you are the registered owner of a vehicle but you were not the person responsible for the vehicle at the time of the alleged offence you may nominate the person responsible. The fine will then be reissued to the person you nominate.

Tell us who was driving your car. Download and complete the Known User Statement.

Under what circumstance can I ask for a review?

Further information regarding grounds for internal review is also available at Fines Victoria 

Special Circumstances

You may be eligible to have your fine withdrawn if you had special circumstances at the time of the offence such as:

  • mental illness or disorder
  • intellectual disability
  • serious addiction to drugs or alcohol
  • homelessness 
  • family violence

And this circumstance meant that you:

  • didn't understand that your behavior was against the law
  • couldn't control your behavior (even if you knew it was against the law)

The application must be supported by a current statement (dated within 12 months of the date of the request for review) from a practitioner who has provided you with a medical or welfare service. Statements over 12 months old may be accepted in cases where circumstances are unlikely to have changed such as intellectual disability.

The following types of practitioners may provide a statement:

  • Case worker, case manager or social worker
  • General practitioner, psychiatrist or psychologist
  • Psychiatric nurse
  • Accredited drug treatment agency
  • Accredited drug councellor

If an applicant has been declared eligible for services from Disability Services (DHS), a Declaration of Eligibility under the Disability Act 2006 for Intellectual Disability Services is sufficient.

Contrary to Law

you do not believe that you committed an offence.

Exceptional Circumstances

You committed the offence but believe there were circumstances outside of your control which could excuse your conduct. 

Mistaken Identity

The fine was issued to the incorrect person or vehicle or you weren't in the alleged location

Person unaware

You didn't receive the infringement notice and would like the additional late payment costs removed.

What types of exceptional circumstances may be considered in an internal review

  • you stopped the car due to a medical emergency or medical condition
  • unexpected medical treatment or trauma during an appointment
  • your vehicle broke down or was unsafe to drive
  • the person who committed the offence is now deceased
  • the infringement was issued to the wrong person or vehicle
  • the vehicle or person was not there at the time of the offence
  • emergency services directed you to park your car there
  • police arrested you and you couldn’t move your car
  • police required your assistance which stopped you from leaving
  • you purchased a parking ticket but didn’t display it correctly
  • the parking meter/ticket machine was faulty
  • you have a valid disabled persons parking permit which wasn’t visible
  • you have a resident or other parking permit which wasn’t visible
  • you parked in a private parking area and you are authorised to park there

Any application for internal review should be supported by evidence where it is available. The following things can be included as evidence to support your application:

  • parking tickets which were valid at the time of the offence
  • photographic evidence
  • statements from medical practitioners
  • hospital admission or discharge documents
  • receipts for mechanical repair
  • towing reciepts
  • receipts for replacement parts
  • statements from police
  • death or funeral notices
  • copies of disabled persons parking permit or permit details
  • renewal of disabled persons parking permit

What circumstances will not be considered in an internal review

  • Poor visibility due to weather
  • Getting change
  • Not noticing a sign
  • Reading only part of a multi-panel sign
  • Being unable to read the sign from the front seat of the car
  • Forgetting to read the sign because you were concentrating on other things
  • Not understanding a sign
  • Not noticing that a sign/restriction had been changed
  • Running late or being in a hurry
  • Being delayed at an appointment
  • Being delayed by work responsibilities
  • Work emergencies
  • A lack of available parking space
  • Stopping for a short time in a prohibited area e.g. No Stopping zone
  • Being new to the area and unfamiliar with the restrictions. 
  • Being unaware of the road rule that the infringement was issued under


Contact us

For more information about parking services please contact us on 03 5434 6000

More information

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*