Driveways and vehicle crossings

A vehicle crossing provides vehicular access to private property from the traffic lane to the property boundary. In the urban area a crossing may consist of a concrete driveway and layback in the kerb and channel. In the rural area a crossing may consist of a sealed or unsealed pavement over a reinforced concrete pipe with concrete end-walls. Vehicle crossings are the responsibility of the abutting landowner and are constructed at the landowner’s expense. Landowners are responsible for ensuring that crossings are maintained in a safe condition.

Any person wishing to construct a vehicle crossing must first obtain a Works Within Road Reserve (WWRR) permit and comply with Council specifications and WWRR permit conditions when undertaking works. If a footpath is constructed in front of the property, Council is responsible for the section of footpath through the crossing (although any upgrade or repair in conjunction with crossing construction is to be undertaken by the permit holder). The landowner retains responsibility for the remainder of the crossing. If there is no constructed footpath, then the landowner is responsible for the entire crossing from the road edge to the property boundary.

Vehicle crossing requirements

Your driveway or vehicle crossing connects your property to the road by crossing the nature strip. It must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a minimum of 3 metres and a maximum of 6 metres wide. If you wish to construct a crossing exceeding these measurements, it must be assessed on an individual basis
  • Comply with the individual requirements of other asset owners with existing infrastructure (including maintaining safe distances or upgrading assets such as power poles and drainage or other pits) as required
  • Nearby trees must be at least 1.5 metres from the proposed driveway (a greater offset may be required for mature trees in accordance with City of Greater Bendigo's Urban Tree Management policy)

You must consult with your neighbours if works are adjacent to the front of their property or affect them in any way.

If any utility pits are close to the works (within 1m) you will need to contact the relevant authority about their requirements. Relocation of any service is at your expense.

Removal of street trees, if approved, will also be at the applicants' expense. Due to numerous factors the City does not permit the relocation of existing street trees by landowners'. Further information regarding the process for removing an existing street tree can be found in the City of Greater Bendigo Urban Tree Management Policy.

A visual layout and additional general information is also available to assist in your crossing design.

Apply to construct a driveway or vehicle crossing

Your application should include: 

  • A completed Works Within Road Reserve (Vehicle crossing / Landscaping works) Application Form (including details of your contractors public liability insurance OR your house and contents insurance details if you are proposing to undertake the works yourself)
  • A site plan (a copy of a house plan or a neat, hand drawn and scaled plan is acceptable)

You can download and complete a hard-copy application or alternatively submit your application online.

Hard copy applications can be submitted in person to the City's Engineering Unit at 15 Hopetoun Street, Bendigo or emailed to[email protected]

Work start/end dates should be included if no date is given the permit period will be for one month from the date of issue. Consent will not be provided for a greater period than one month, unless works are reasonably expected to take longer.

Whilst we do aim to process applications as quickly as possible, please allow up to 20 business days for an application to be processed.

If your works are in a rural area please provide the nearest intersection and mark the indicative location of the proposed works on-site.

Your site sketch/plan

Your site plan should include: 

  • Dimensions of the works 
  • Distances to any existing assets such as trees, signs, pits (Powercor, Coliban Water, etc...)

If your driveway is for a new house, you can use a copy of the building plan with the relevant details drawn in. If no plans are available, a good quality hand-drawn plan, showing all relevant dimensions will suffice.

When you submit a site plan or sketch it must meet the requirements of a standard drawing. The City of Greater Bendigo Construction standards page explains these requirements for urban and retrofit driveways, urban and rural swale crossings, industrial vehicle crossings and more.

Paying for your permit

An invoice will be sent to you for payment after a permit is issued. Please note that payment cannot be accepted prior to a permit being issued.

Once a permit is issued this payment is non-refundable, so if you receive a permit but decide to not proceed with the works the application fee will still apply.

Safe work sites and cleaning up

For public safety, any open excavation must be back-filled or barricaded securely overnight, or if works are left unattended.

If you are using a contractor they will also be responsible for any clean up. If council land is left in an unacceptable condition, the City will follow up with the works manager/contact.

If you are undertaking the works yourself, you will be responsible for the works being to standard and ensuring the public area is left clean and safe.

Contact us

For more information about your driveway or works within the road reserve, please contact our Engineering Unit on 1300 002 642 or [email protected]

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*