Road and street maintenance

Staff Working at Mollison Street Roundabout

We are responsible for the construction and maintenance of all roads in Greater Bendigo, except for VicRoads main arterial roads, and Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning tracks.

Our works program includes grading of rural roads, re-building, resealing and maintenance of guideposts, footpath, kerb and channel, line marking, and guard rails. All roads are inspected and maintained in accordance with Council's Road Management Plan.

A review of the City’s Road Management Plan (RMP) was completed in August 2022 in accordance with requirements outlined within both the Road Management Act and Road Management (General) Regulations.  The Review Report resulted in minor amendments being made to the RMP, prior to its subsequent adoption by Council in November 2022.

For a list of roads that Council is responsible for, please view the Register of Public Roads.

Works within the road reserve

All works within the public road reserve require consent from the responsible road authority. Find out about Works within the Road Reserve.

Nature strips

A nature strip is the area of land between the property boundary and the road kerb in an urban street. This land is managed by the City of Greater Bendigo as part of the road reserve but we expect residents to maintain it. Find out about what you can and can’t do on your nature strip.

Street sweeping

We have a program of street sweeping which ranges from daily sweeping to sweeping as required.

Drainage maintenance

We will clear pipes, pits, culverts, or drains of blockages, with the exception of driveways or crossovers (residents are encouraged to maintain).

Property owners are responsible for the maintenance of household drains up to the point where they connect into the kerb and channel or underground drain.

Please report a problem with stormwater drainage or excessive run-off from buildings via [email protected]

Road signs

We install, clean, repair and relocate all regulatory, warning, guide, parking and street name signs on all roads, except for those on main arterial (VicRoads-managed) roads.

Report a missing or damaged street sign.

Street lighting

We install street lighting on all of the roads for which we are responsible.

Powercor is the authority responsible for the maintenance of streetlights in the road reserve. To report streetlights that are not working either email Powercor at [email protected] or report via their website.

Contact us

For more information about local roads, please contact us on 1300 002 642 or email [email protected].

More information

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*