Works in the road reserve

Staff Shoveling Concrete onto New Footpath

Before you begin any work on a City of Greater Bendigo controlled road reserve, you need a permit.

The road reserve is the public land beyond your property boundary, and includes roadside or nature strip, drains, verge, shoulders and roadway.

Apply for a permit

Permits for utility or development related works

If you are planning a project such as a utility connection, or are undertaking works such as subdivision construction or other development projects, etc. you need to complete the Works Within Road Reserve (Utility / Development Works) application form.

Permits for driveways, landscaping or other minor works

For minor works in the road reserve, such as driveway construction or nature strip beautification, you need to complete a Works Within Road Reserve (Vehicle crossing / Nature strip landscaping) Application form. You can download and complete a hard-copy application or submit an application online.

Download the:

Information to include in your application

The following items are required to be lodged with the Works in the Road Reserve application:

  • Detailed plan of works (plan can be either scaled or dimensioned)
  • Traffic management plan (if works involve stopping or diverting traffic)

Vehicle crossings and driveways

Consent is required prior to the installation of any driveway or vehicle crossing. This consent is separate and in addition to a building permit (if applicable) and ensures that the proposed facilities are designed in accordance with local laws, and the Road Management Act. To find out more go to vehicle crossings and driveways.

Nature strips

Nature strips are the piece of land situated between the edge of a road or kerb and the property boundary. You need to observe your property boundary and understand the options for landscaping the nature strip infront of their property. Go to nature strips.

Dial Before You Dig

If you are planning to excavate, the Dial Before you Dig service puts you in touch with the relevant underground asset owners. They respond with advice as to the location of any underground pipes and cables, and safety advice for excavating near an underground plant.

Dial 1100 or visit

Contact us

For more information about works within the road reserve, please contact our Engineering and Public Space Unit on 1300 002 642 or [email protected]

More information

We welcome your feedback.

Did you know you can log requests online?

This includes several bin requests such as missed bins, footpath maintenance, tree inspections and general requests. Visit our make a request page.

Do you want us to contact you?*
Preferred contact method*